Advice on kit to start all grain brewing

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion' started by Petrolhead, Jan 12, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 12, 2018 #1

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

I am looking to move over to all grain brewing and intend using an old (legitimate) beer barrel and a large cooler both adapted with taps to use in the normal fashion.

My question is should I heat the barrel with electricity or gas? I fancy the neatness of electricity and to heat the water it makes great sense but is it ok when you boil the wort?

As a newbie it strikes me that the element could be difficult to clean and you may get wort burnt onto it. A pointer or two would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Jan 13, 2018 #2

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Not sure that I can be of much help mate, I started ag with a stock pot on the hob and a grain bag.

I am sat here wondering about whether using a beer barrel (what is it made of?) is a great plan, but what do I know!

3. Jan 13, 2018 #3

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Regular. Supporting Member

Hi!
    There are advantages and disadvantages to both. You need to buy a gas burner and bottled gas if you go down that route, and you'll need to cut holes in the keg for the elements (you will most certainly need more than one) if you choose electricity to power your boil. Of course, you'll need to cut holes for ball valves whichever route you go down.
    Many homebrewers use exposed elements to boil wort, so there'll be plenty of advice online about cleaning the elements etc.
    There are many You Tube vids about converting a beer keg for boiling - here's one example.