Advice on making cider from a kit

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Johnbg

Reaction score
Hi
Thank you for allowing me to join the forum. I would be grateful for some advice for a newbie,!
I was given a 5 gallon cider making kit as a present.I followed the instructions given and placed the bin in the Conservatory 9 days ago. Unfortunately I did not take an OG reading. I expected to see bubbling from the must and I left the lid on loosely on the bin. After 3 days there seemed to Have been no signs of fermentation, no signs of any bubbling which I was expecting to see. There seems to have been no gas coming through the airlock. I thought that the temperature had been too low for fermentation so I put a warming belt on the bin and added more cider yeast. Again nothing seemed to be working. Today I took a gravity reading which is 1000 but at a temperature of 84f.
Do you think that fermentation has taken place or should I start again?

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Administrator
Reaction score
If you only had the lid on loose the airlock would never have bubbled as the CO2 will have found an easier way out.

I don't make cider but at .1000 i would think its probably done i am sure someone who knowns far more than me will advise soon.

Barley Rubble

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Johnbg. I have made a few ciders and referring to my notes all 3 finished at 1000, so yours is probably done. Are you bottling or kegging? If bottling, obviously sanitise, add 1 teaspoon of white table sugar to each 500ml bottle, adjust to the size of bottle you are using, or 2 carbonation tablets per 500 ml. Again adjust to size of bottle used. Once capped, place in a warm room for 2 weeks for carbonation. Then a further 2 weeks in a cooler environment to clear. Sorry I don't use kegs, so I can't advise on that.
Regarding the temperature of 84f, it sounds like your conservatory is quite warm and the fermentation has completed in a shorter time.
I am sure it will be fine, don't worry!:beer1:

Oh and welcome to the forum! athumb..athumb..

Johnbg

Reaction score
If you only had the lid on loose the airlock would never have bubbled as the CO2 will have found an easier way out.

I don't make cider but at .1000 i would think its probably done i am sure someone who knowns far more than me will advise soon.

Johnbg

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am pleased that my cider is ok

Johnbg

Reaction score
Sorry. Rude of me not to thank you all individually for your support. I will carry on as you have all advised