Advice on making cider from a kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnbg

Reaction score
Hi
Thank you for allowing me to join the forum. I would be grateful for some advice for a newbie,!
I was given a 5 gallon cider making kit as a present.I followed the instructions given and placed the bin in the Conservatory 9 days ago. Unfortunately I did not take an OG reading. I expected to see bubbling from the must and I left the lid on loosely on the bin. After 3 days there seemed to Have been no signs of fermentation, no signs of any bubbling which I was expecting to see. There seems to have been no gas coming through the airlock. I thought that the temperature had been too low for fermentation so I put a warming belt on the bin and added more cider yeast. Again nothing seemed to be working. Today I took a gravity reading which is 1000 but at a temperature of 84f.
Do you think that fermentation has taken place or should I start again?

If you only had the lid on loose the airlock would never have bubbled as the CO2 will have found an easier way out.

I don't make cider but at .1000 i would think its probably done i am sure someone who knowns far more than me will advise soon.

Hi Johnbg. I have made a few ciders and referring to my notes all 3 finished at 1000, so yours is probably done. Are you bottling or kegging? If bottling, obviously sanitise, add 1 teaspoon of white table sugar to each 500ml bottle, adjust to the size of bottle you are using, or 2 carbonation tablets per 500 ml. Again adjust to size of bottle used. Once capped, place in a warm room for 2 weeks for carbonation. Then a further 2 weeks in a cooler environment to clear. Sorry I don't use kegs, so I can't advise on that.
Regarding the temperature of 84f, it sounds like your conservatory is quite warm and the fermentation has completed in a shorter time.
I am sure it will be fine, don't worry!:beer1:

Oh and welcome to the forum! athumb..athumb..

If you only had the lid on loose the airlock would never have bubbled as the CO2 will have found an easier way out.

I don't make cider but at .1000 i would think its probably done i am sure someone who knowns far more than me will advise soon.

Sorry. Rude of me not to thank you all individually for your support. I will carry on as you have all advised

Latest posts

Back