Advice on mash and boil lengths

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have just received delivery of my robobrew (whoop!), and am planning on brewing with it for the first time at the weekend. I've bought a malt Miller landlord kit. Looking at the destructions it states a 90min mash and 90min boil. I was wondering if it would make much difference to the outcome of I kept it simple and went 60mins for each? I put the details into brew father software and it doesn't give a difference between 60 and 90mins, not sure if that is just an issue with the software?

I want to keep it simple as it's my first go at all grain and with the robobrew.

What do people think?

Thanks,

Rick

I mash for 45 minutes and boil for 30. You may have to increase your hop quantities slightly to allow for the reduced boil length.
The Brulosophy website has some interesting experiments on mash and boil times (and many other aspects of brewing).

A 90 minute mash will tend to convert more starches to fermentable sugars so may result in a lower final gravity than a mash done for 45 or 60 minutes.

I've read that boiling for longer can increase the maillard reactions resulting in a richer maltier flavour than short boil times. This factor may be important to the character of Landlord, as I've read that Landlord clones, if following the authentic recipe, will use a simple single malt. The longer boil should give greater depth to the flavour.

If you're happy to do 60 + 60, give it a go. I'm sure it will turn out ok, maybe not as authentic as the 90 + 90.

OK, sounds like I'll just have to kick things off an hour earlier! I would hate to be disappointed in my first effort just for it to be down to me trying to cut things short!

So I'm kicking the first brew off soon. As I'm a little unsure as to water losses along the way (boil off, grain absorption, trub loss), is it OK to shoot slightly low for final FV volume and top up if needed? This seems better to me than ending up with too much. Any issues doing this?

The 90 minute mash is something I have thought about on and off. With a single vessel system, in my case Mk2 GF, it takes 15-25 mins to dough-in, depending on a few things. Then the step-up to mash out at 75mins takes a few minutes, too and the mash out is 10 mins. Would the "old" recipe with a 90 min mash include the time spent carefully mashing in? A lot of conversion must take place during this time. Also, does the mash time include the "mash-out" do we suppose?

takes 15-25 mins to dough-in, depending on a few things. Then the ste
ashock1

I think with a typical 4-5kg grain bill, it takes about 5 mins max to slowly pour it into the hot liquor a bit at a time while constantly stirring. What do you do differently - this could be one of those moments where I realise I've been doing it wrong all the time.
:laugh8:

ashock1

I think with a typical 4-5kg grain bill, it takes about 5 mins max to slowly pour it into the hot liquor a bit at a time while constantly stirring. What do you do differently - this could be one of those moments where I realise I've been doing it wrong all the time.
:laugh8:

I use a small plastic jug and sprinkle the grain evenly over the surface of the liquid and stir after every jugful, except for the first 1/3 or so, when it might be every 2 jugs. Then at the end, it gets a proper stirring at the Middle, the Up and the Down.

Again, advice is at variance, though. One book says not to knock out too much air as this causes a stuck mash and a tedious sparge, another source recommends thoroughly wetting every part of the milled grain. As I get circa 77% BHE, I am happy going down the "Thoroughly Wet" path.

I do a 60 min mash after doughing in and breaking up and dry balls/clumps, I only do a 30 minute boil the only affect I've found from this is the IBU's from the early hops, I balance that out by adding a few gr more.

Why only a short boil?
Mainly time saving, always used to boil for 60 mins then there was a big discussion on here a few years ago, I decided to give it a go and found the differences to be negligible and have never reverted back, the only reason I may revert back would be for big beers where boiling off the water would be helpful.

I rarely mash for longer than 60 mins if using modern malts. If I'm using Chevallier then I allow 90 mins for conversion.

My standard boil time is 60-90 mins depending on the recipe.

The exceptions are historical recipes, which can sometimes call for long boil and or mash times.

Everyone should underlet if their equipment allows it imo, it's just easier. No dough balls, minimal stirring.

I tend to do step mashes now as I have found I usually want better attenuation. And it helps with head and clears a bit quicker too . It does take longer on the day though and plenty of great beers are made with single infusions

I always do a 60minute boil. I should probably try a shorter one

90 min mash, 60 min boil for me. I have read the sugars are converted quickly but there are still other elements that need more time to convert.

So what I've taken from the above discussion so far is that everyone does it differently!

Well I did 90 mins for both as the recipe suggested, and although she is very understanding, my wife did comment that it took a long time! So maybe I'll be looking to try shorter instead!

Another reason for me to brew 90 mins is convenience. Pre lockdown I would normally brew Saturday's and set the grainfather so the strike temperature is ready for 8.30. Once the mash is under way I can go for my daily walk, around 20 mins, and return for a leisurely breakfast then by the time I have prepared the hops and sterilised the FV it's time to sparge. At my age no need to rush, if I finished to early the wife would find me something to do.

I've got 3 young ones so there's a fair bit of pressure to be playing with them. Usually brew in the evenings when they are in bed. If I can set things off and sort bedtimes, then carry on after then all good.

Latest posts

Back