Advice on my next kit brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Piper

Reaction score
I've tried a Woodfordes Wherry and a Nelson's Revenge, and the results, while far from perfect, have been encouraging enough to make me want to keep going. So I'm thinking about what kit I should try next. I'd like to achieve something that comes close to my favourite bottled beer (Adnams Broadside). I found a web page for a Festival Old Suffolk Strong Ale Kit which is of a similar strength and reads like it should be a similar product.

Have any of you tried this kit, and if so how did it work out? Is there another kit that might be similar to Broadside in flavour?

Thanks,

Ian.
--

I've not brewed the kit you mention but note your comment " .... and the results, while far from perfect, have been encouraging ..."

Over the last thirty years or so, Kits have become much improved and there are some brilliant ones on the market. However, I believe that the manufacturers do themselves and their brews a serious injustice by trying to persuade people to ferment, condition and drink them much too early!

Even with a Kit, I normally follow the 2+2+2 rule so from pitching the yeast to tasting the finished article is normally at least six weeks!

With good sanitisation and storage, almost all beers will improve for up to a year after bottling and drinking a brew too early could be causing the "far from perfect" results you have been getting.

There is nothing worse than discovering that the last available glass of a brew is the best tasting one from that batch!

What Dutto said, plus temp control which is critical. If you haven’t invested in an old fridge yet from gumtree do so ASAP.

Last edited:
As above. Even the kit description you linked mentioned a 4 week conditioning period which suggests to me that it should be nearer 8 weeks which, in my experience, for a 6% dark beer is about right. So from pitching to drinking means 12 weeks which you may need to consider in your brewing schedule..

And if you haven't got the space for a fridge a water bath is a simple effective alternative
How to Set up a Water Bath for your FV - The HomeBrew Forum

Finally the kit review section has a link review for this kit
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=49230
but the link is broken perhaps the mods can fix it to reveal what it says.

But in the meantime if you use the search engine for 'old suffolk' it comes up with a few posts

Last edited:
A good rule for conditioning is a week for every 10 points of OG ie for an OG of 1040 then 4 weeks minimum.

Oh no that means my last one just carbonated will need forever 2month although I need to make sure it's carbonated later. It did take ages to make though.

Done the Old Suffolk twice great results both times.Good step up from the Woodfordes kits.Dry hop pellets and priming sugar etc.As a strong beer ( came out about 6.0% ) it did benefit from a few months bottle conditioning.Last few bottles fantastic.I would give it at least 2 months in the bottle...if you can.Go for it.;-)

Come to the dark side....

A simple small batch BIAB is within your grasp.....

Once you do it and see how easy it is, you'll be glad you did it.

Just do it.

All the Best,
D. White

I think for a lot of people brewing kits fits the life style ie young family earning a crust so a kit is good for a decent beer and fits in with modern life, Ag is for me is a pass time a hobby were time doesn't matter I still do kits sometimes and there are some crackers if done right + you can pimp em

I think for a lot of people brewing kits fits the life style ie young family earning a crust ..........

Er ... how about "ie old and knackered and retired ...." :laugh8: :laugh8:

I've decided to go back to just doing kits on the above basis; but I'll still experiment on them.

BTW, the kits nowadays are a zillion times better than they were back in the 1960's! athumb..

Er ... how about "ie old and knackered and retired ...." :laugh8: :laugh8:

I've decided to go back to just doing kits on the above basis; but I'll still experiment on them.

BTW, the kits nowadays are a zillion times better than they were back in the 1960's! athumb..
Agree on old and knackered that's when I do a kit, when its to cold outside to do a brew

Back