Advice please... primary fermentation done in 6 days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 44889

Regular.
Reaction score
Hiya,
Started a Black Cherry wine in plastic fermenting bucket ( doing 7 ltrs ) 1x 5ltr DJ and 1x 2ltr Cider Flaggon. SG 1.090
Placed lid on bucket but only 90 % sealed as Stired once a day. Was going to rack into DJ's after about 8 days but on day 6 did hydrometer reading and down to 0.996.
Racked into DJ's with airlocks and thought it was still going very slowly but no.. took another reading today another 6 days and still at 0.996
My concern is fermentation completed without being airtight... any advice please

Personally, I would test the hydrometer before believing that a wine can ferment out in six days!

If the test showed that the hydrometer was okay and fermentation was finished, then I suggest that you carry on with the stabilisation, de-gassing, clearing and bottling regime.

I wouldn’t worry about the “airtight” quality of the FV if the brew smells okay; however, next time you might consider fitting a blow-off system.
:hat:

Whats yeast did you use? I have heard of certain yeasts doing this in 7 days. 5 days in a bucket is normally my limit, you should hopefully be fine, but might be worth straining sooner next time.

Unusual for wine to ferment that fast. Was it one of those fast ferment kits or was it a home recipe?.
I would have thought it would have climbed out of the Demijon to ferment out that fast but if it was one of those fast ferment yeasts maybe.

Personally, I would test the hydrometer before believing that a wine can ferment out in six days!

If the test showed that the hydrometer was okay and fermentation was finished, then I suggest that you carry on with the stabilisation, de-gassing, clearing and bottling regime.

I wouldn’t worry about the “airtight” quality of the FV if the brew smells okay; however, next time you might consider fitting a blow-off system.
:hat:
Hi Dutto,
I know the Hydrometer is ok as also tested a TC i had on the go which finished at 1.001, but to be on the safe side i tested it again this am in plain water at 20C and it read 1.000.. so all ok.
I was thinking the same as you and just carry on as normal. So will stabilise it today then will degas, don't think I'll need to clear as its already started without any help, i'm going to bulk age the 5 ltr DJ and bottle the 2 ltr Flaggon.
Thanks for your help 😎🍷

Whats yeast did you use? I have heard of certain yeasts doing this in 7 days. 5 days in a bucket is normally my limit, you should hopefully be fine, but might be worth straining sooner next time.
Hiya HLA91,
I used Girvin GV8 Red Table Wine Yeast ,
From now on i will test after day 3 and transfer to secondary at max day 4 or 5. Think your limit is good advice. Thanks. 😎🍷

Unusual for wine to ferment that fast. Was it one of those fast ferment kits or was it a home recipe?.
I would have thought it would have climbed out of the Demijon to ferment out that fast but if it was one of those fast ferment yeasts maybe.
Hi Baron,
No it was a home recipe using tinned Cherries. Primary was done in a 12 ltr fermenting bucket topped up to 8 ltr mark, had a good head on it but no danger of coming out the top ( if it was in a DJ think it would have been all over the laundry room ceiling lol).
Used Gervin GV8 yeast but never had a Gervin ferment out so fast before.
Did fit the lid on bucket but only clipped down hard on about 90 % as was stirring once a day.
Thanks 😎🍷

I have used the Gervin allround wine yeast and it has usually taken weeks to get down that low. So its a mystery at the moment unless somebody else comes up with a theory????

I have used the Gervin allround wine yeast and it has usually taken weeks to get down that low. So its a mystery at the moment unless somebody else comes up with a theory????
Yeah I've used Gervin yeasts in loads of other friut wines and as you say take weeks to finish. Usually i rack off the friut pulp on about day 7 and not had any problems until now,
The wine seems fine so im going to do as Dutto advised and carry on as normal... the worse that can happen is it all goes down the drain... hope not lol.
Did add a vitamin B1 tablet crushed. Maybe yeast had a hay day.. 🍷

Last edited:
20220516_124924.jpg

Latest posts

Back