Advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninkasi

Reaction score
Hello

Someone gave me 500g of cara gold and I have 50g simcoe hops. I also have a couple of coopers lager tins. I normally just do extract or part grain, so am I correct in thinking I could steep the cara gold grain at 65 degrees for 45 min then add both the coopers tins. Pour this into the fermenter and top up to 23l. Then dry hop the simcoe after fermentation ?

I am quite happy to follow instructions but get very nervous when making something up!

I'd say that sounds ok. Normally two cans could be a bit bitter but it sounds like you're changing the style from a lager to more of a pale so upping the bitterness won't be a bad thing. But then I could be talking out of my hat...

As @Clint says doubling up on two lager cans is not a bad thing.
But as you already do partial mashes have you considered making up mash and a boil with some base malt and some of the cara gold and then add that to each of the kits. I've done something similar to a 1.7kg kit with a 20g Cascade at 3min boil for flavour, then a 30g dry hop later, and bottled it on Friday. That way you could use Simcoe in one beer and another hop in in the other and for very little extra cost you get 40 litres of beer and not 20 litres.

Latest posts

Back