Advise on old bottles please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calling on your experience athumb..

I bought a load of second hand brewing bits and these glass bottles were in with them. I have 1 pint, 1 litre and 1.13litre. They are screw tops with rubber seals. I have checked all the seals and they all look to be in really good condition considering how old these bottles must be.

My dilemma is I have a 30 bottle wine kit and a Demijohn of dandelion wine and 2 DJ of Nettle wine that will need bottling soon. I would like to leave the latter 2 for several months before we drink them. Do you think these bottles would be suitable to use for long term storage of wines? or would I be better of using (or not using) these for the quicker drinking wine.

Thanks 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20210605_111343.jpg
    IMG_20210605_111343.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210609_101132.jpg
    IMG_20210609_101132.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210609_101705.jpg
    IMG_20210609_101705.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210625_113032.jpg
    IMG_20210625_113032.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 37
They are pressure bottles that is they are suitable for Beer, Cider and Pop which have CO2 in them as long as no cracks or chips . I can not see why you could not use them for wine too but bear in mind beer and wine should be kept in a dark place especially if in clear bottles as they can become light struck so store in a cool dark place. The seals look similar to the ones used by Grolsch style bottles and if the same size are easily and cheaply bought replacements

Thanks for that The Baron.

Yes it defiantly looks like they were a beer brewer rather than a wine maker. So that would make sense with the bottles.

I use the kitchen larder and a cabinet in the garage so kept in the dark. That was my second thought about using clear bottles. athumb.. I got a couple crates of grolsh bottles with them too. Putting the rubber seals next to each other, the centre hole is slightly larger than a grolsh rubber hole. So will keep my eyes open for spares seals.

Hopefully yesterday was the last time I had cleaned the old labels of my last collection of donated wine bottles with all of these bottles clapa

If the holes are slightly larger just force them on or cut the centre hole slightly larger athumb..

Latest posts

Back