After adding finings....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Was unsure where to put this but some of you may have seen the pic I posted of my lager fermented with CML hell yesterday. That was when I was racking it to the bottling bucket. It was pretty clear in the photo without much suspended in it at all. It was all In the funny looking yeast cake.

However, I fined it in the bottling bucket overnight then kegged some and have just bottled the rest. However, when it came to bottling there, there was sediment strewn all through the beer. Suspended all the way from top to bottom.

Now aside from "why would you fine already clear beer" is there maybe something in my process that's causing this? I'm really annoyed about it tbh because I have been working hard towards clearer beer.

Getting the steps right on the day is the starting point, not to fine a crush of the grain, mash pH, leaving the hot break in the kettle, making sure all the starch has converted. A good vigorous boil and cold crashing for 2 or three days at 0 to -1 C.
I really try to avoid finings as it also has a stripping effect on colour and hop aroma/flavour.
https://www.morebeer.com/articles/clarifying_homebrew

Getting the steps right on the day is the starting point, not to fine a crush of the grain, mash pH, leaving the hot break in the kettle, making sure all the starch has converted. A good vigorous boil and cold crashing for 2 or three days at 0 to -1 C.
I really try to avoid finings as it also has a stripping effect on colour and hop aroma/flavour.
https://www.morebeer.com/articles/clarifying_homebrew
Yeah I am really trying to refine all of that. Mash pH will be next up. But we we arent talking haze here, I am talking big floating lumps of stuff that I assume has been pulled together by the finings. I think for my next lager I will leave them out if it looks clear in the FV and see how that goes.

Latest posts

Back