AG #10 Elderflower Ale with new malt mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got this on the go yesterday:

3.18kg pale malt
370g Munich 10L
370g carapils
190g torrified wheat

39g EKG 90 mins
36g Fuggles 10 mins
40g Elderflower 3 mins then into the FV

1tsp Irish Moss 10 mins

12l mash at 67℃ for 90 mins
20l sparge at 76℃

Preboil gravity was 1.028 which gives an efficiency of about 55%. Part of the reason for this brew was to try out the mill and I need to crush it more to get back up to 80%.

So rescued it with 750g of BKE which is all I had. OG is now 1.042, which is about what beersmith estimated.

Pitched my Wye Valley yeast cropped from AG #9 (after rousing it in a starter for 36 hours).

20 hours later it's developing a nice head of yeast ready for cropping...

Took a day 4 reading today and had a taste.

Down to 1.008 and tasted good, nice caramel flavour with the hops coming through, will be racked to a keg next week and then conditioned for a couple of weeks

Racked to the KK today and primed with 50g sugar. It was down to 1.006, which is probably a result of adding the enhancer.

Anyways it tastes lovely: hoppy, floral with a real malty aftertaste. Can't wait to try it in a couple of weeks

Nailed about half of this now. It's lovely and conditioned within two weeks. It's the first pale beer I've made which had Munich in the grain bill, and it adds something different to the malt profile

Yeah used dried. Never used fresh Elderflower so can't compare. Very floral aroma though. I'm pleased

Latest posts

Back