AG#10 Proper Job

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ok so tommorrows brewday is a clone attempt for st austell brewerys "Proper Job" :thumb: A powerfully hopped IPA style brew - I`ve been wanting to do this recipe since I started AG brewing last october. I`ve done some research for this including sampling lots of Proper Job on cask and bottled :whistle: I even e-mailed the head brewer at st austell, he wouldn`t give me a hopping schedule but did say which hops to use and not to be shy with them!! He suggested around 40ibu so i`ll go a little higher to allow for my probably less efficient boil and brewing methods ( plus I like it hoppy and bitter :lol: ) The recipe below is pretty much copied from jim`s forum - so cheers for that ;)

Proper Job

6kg Pale Malt - maris otter (from tuckers maltings in newton abbot, my local grain supply and also the supply for st austell brewery) :D

30gram chinook 90 mins
20gram cascade 10mins
25gram williamette 10mins
30gram williamette 5mins
30gram williamette 1min
30gram cascade 30min steep at flame out

expected OG:1059
expected FG:1015
IBU:53.0
SRM:6.1
expected ABV:5.9%

Can`t wait to start this tommorrow - grain weighed out (that was aquick job!) will be using US-O5 and some basic water treatment. Last of my pale malt grain so will have to get another bag for next weekends brew :) Full report tommorrow, cheers :drink:

Switched the boiler on just before 9am and it was up to temp before half past, lovely sunny morning even if it was a little fresh!!

IMGP2263.jpg

I`ve managed to get hold of two old kettle leads (proper kettle one`s not 3amp pc leads!) also got some 50mm plastic pipe to fix on the boiler as shrouds in case of any overboils when I do double length brews - just need to silicone them on after the brewday :cool:
IMGP2264.jpg
IMGP2265.jpg

Set the tun up and filled with the strike water at around 72degrees c, doughed in and temp was a little under 66degrees so topped up with a half litre of boiling water :whistle: 90mins later temp had held well again :party:
IMGP2266.jpg
IMGP2272.jpg
IMGP2278.jpg

Loads of lovely hops for this one :lol: smelt great :drink:

IMGP2274.jpg
IMGP2276.jpg

sparge and first runnings returned, all pale malt so very light colour,

IMGP2280.jpg
IMGP2281.jpg
IMGP2282.jpg

hops in and boil on, its just finishing its 80degree steep and i`m gonna leave it to chill in the garden and pitch the yeast later!
IMGP2284.jpg
IMGP2285.jpg
IMGP2286.jpg
IMGP2287.jpg
IMGP2289.jpg

great brewday, all went to plan - just about to strain the wort then going down to the river to feed the ducks with the missus and our little boy - may even get apint in :whistle:

Fantastic job Rick .. you'll have to keep me posted as this is one I have to try .. an excellent beer and looks like you'll get pretty close to it!

Great pics! :cheers:

:cheers: will do tony - if i only come close i`ll be happy :pray: It smelt great all through the boil so fingers crossed :drink:

Final gravity was 1056, I find US-O5 always ferments lower than the forum calc says so reckon i`ll easily hit the ABV ;)
After i cleaned down i fitted the shrouds to the boiler,
IMGP2292.jpg
IMGP2294.jpg

will hopefully be attempting a 46litre brew soon - the only limitation is my mash tun which will hold around 8kg of grain so i`ll be looking to do a best bitter of around 4%.

:drink:

If the citrus and grapefruit smells coming from the FV are anything to go by I can`t wait for this one :thumb:

Botttled up tonight - 38 pint bottles, final gravity was 1004 - really low and suprised me - means the ABV is just under 7% hope it turns out OK and won`t take anything away from the hops :thumb:

I`ve got a stinking cold so a taster told me nothing - :(

Gonna stick them away in the cupboard for a few weeks and then have a taster :whistle: Stocks are good each of these boxes hold 20 or 19 pint bottles and i`ve around 200 pints of assorted beers, some turbo cider and ginger beer :thumb:

oh yeah I keep the wine in a different cupboard :drunk:

IMGP2334.jpg
IMGP2335.jpg
IMGP2336.jpg

gotta love the spare room :lol:

That's some stock pile you got going on there! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I was somewhere near but I've had a bit of a binge recently, and I've got my brothers coming over on the weekend for Leeds beer festival, so no doubt I'll have sod all left soon.

I must say it does look a lot more impressive in bottles than corni's :clap: :clap:

LB

sneaky taste tonight - OK should wait a bit longer but couldn`t resist - cleared ( :pray: thank you) love using US-O5 but had one refuse to clear,

so........ :shock: this is good - really good, that grapefruity, citrusy hop flavour - good aroma and ready to drink - i`m gonna forget about it for a couple of weeks though, or longer and get another one of these on -

:thumb:

Looks like you did a proper job on that one Rick.

Very informative thread for me after requesting this recipe.
All being well, I should be firing up this weekend to make a batch myself, though I will tweek the mix with a little carapils and be aiming for an ABV of around 5.5%.

Enjoy :thumb:

If you want one from the bottom box, do you have to drink your way there? :D

Nice Rick ... like your handbag!

hope it goes well mark, i think i`d add some amber or munich malt next time just for a little colour - so good luck with yours, as for the abv - i would prefer if mine had been around 6% - still just have to not drink to many at once :?

tony - good job i moved my knee high boots ;)

An news on how this PJ ended up tasting? CAn't wait til Friday, doing a willamette/cascade brew myself. I think I have some SO5 too.

It was BL**DY GREAT :party: trust me, when I'd finished my bottle Rick was lucky I didn't know where he lived, I'd have slept in his wardrobe,, sorry storage cupboard :thumb:

Cussword said:
It was BL**DY GREAT :party: trust me, when I'd finished my bottle Rick was lucky I didn't know where he lived, I'd have slept in his wardrobe,, sorry storage cupboard :thumb:

:lol: cheers!

micmacmoc - it was alovely pint ( i have one bottle left :( ) must get some more on - I as in cornwall last week and enjoyed a few pints of proper job :thumb:

Latest posts

Back