AG#10 simple stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To continue my theme of low(ish) alcohol beers, this time i fancied having a go at a stout.
its not something i drink a lot of, but i do fancy a pint of stout now and again.
As my FV is currently taken up with my golden ale and my no chill barrel full of lager - i've decided to do a small batch and use a couple of glass demijohns that i have spare.

1kg Irish malt
100gm black patent
200gm rolled oats
100gm Crystal 340ebc

10l mash at 65c for an hour followed by a good bag squeeze
Leaving 9l wort for a 60 minute boil

Hops
10 g Admiral 60 min
10 g Admiral 0 min
i'm using admiral, as thats all i have in my freezer thats traditional english and as its bred from challenger and northdown, should be ok in an english stout.

Yeast, an unknown 6gm pack of ale yeast i stumbled across from god know when. it'll be fine i am sure......

I'm shooting for around 4% abv and 30 IBUs and 30 SRM
Its currently cooling, so will provide an update tomorrow once its cooled and see if i hit my numbers.

I didn't hit my numbers, I ended up with 8l of 1.055 which I am ok with. Bit stronger than I intended but whatever....bigger issues than that.

Which is.........

That pack of ale yeast might actually be cider yeast.
OoopsI
didn't realise until today when I went on the hunt for a pack of cider yeast I knew I had kicking about in my 'cider draw' and couldn't find it.
This will either be a tremendous success or an unmitigated disaster.
Anyone else done a stout with a neutral cider yeast before? Lol

finally got round to bottling this up - finished on 1.014 - and its BLACK!
smells good and a cheeky taste whilst bottling confirms that it tastes beer like. Going to stash this one away for a couple of months and see how it turns out.

Obligatory piccie.
It's not properly carbd, but a quick squirt with a syringe gives a lovely thick creamy head.
Purposefully under carbd this as I don't think it would suit being fizzy

Attachments

• IMG_20190409_180617.jpg
    IMG_20190409_180617.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back