AG#12 User Upper Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was discussing my plans for this brew recently - thanks for the suggestions.

Full details on Brewers Friend here

I got a starter on a couple of days ago using yeast/trub of Wyeast 1275 from my AG#4.

The plan was very much about using up odds and sods hence odd amounts in the grain bill:
1394g mild malt
100g brown malt
53g dark crystal
293g Caramalt
83g Munich
42g Pilsner
200g flaked barley

2.16kg in total

Mashed 6L Tesco Ashbeck @ 67degC for 80mins
Dunk sparge 8L @ 80degC for 15mins
Added 2L boiling water to the brew kettle
16L Tesco Ashbeck in total

9g simcoe @ 13.1%AAU for 60mins
10g EKG @ 6.8%AAU for 10mins
Half a protofloc tablet for 10 mins
5g First Gold @ 9.16%AAU for 5mins

BG 1.038
OG 1.046

Seems whatever I do I cannot get Brewers Friend to match my BG, but my efficiency seems pretty consistent from brew to brew that the OG is pretty much bang on.

Wort was quite dark, maybe similar to N.Brown, but smelt and tasted very rich and malty. Excited now to see how this turns out.

Cor, you've got all sorts in there, a proper user-upper. The EKG and first gold should go well.

Update:

Bottled this today - it's dark brown, it's malty and it's bitter athumb..

OG 1.046
FG 1.014

IBU = 39
EBC = 19
ABV = 4.3%

Yielded 20 x 500ml bottles primed with 45g table sugar boiled in 200ml water for a few minutes and added to bottling bucket.

Now to keep my mitts off for the next 4 weeks.....

20190512_093111.jpg

ashock1

So... Err... Yeah... I was good and left it alone for 4 weeks, came to try it and I got a gusher aheadbutt I opened a couple more but they were the same :(

Thanks to @An Ankoù who suggested a solution in this thread - basically lift the caps to let the fizz out. In the end I think I lost about 30ml from each of the remaining 17 bottles.

As I mentioned in that thread, I bottled water 3 weeks at FG 1.014, 69% attenuation - believable that it was done considering I mashed at 67degC, and also previous experience with WY1275.

Hopefully it's not a major issue in my gear or process, but rather it just wasn't quite done. I've never had this bother before, particularly with this yeast so maybe it's just a one off or a mutation in 2nd or 3rd gen yeast.

One question if anyone knows, how long do I need to leave it until I can try it again m can I just wait until they clear out do they need to carb and condition again? Little worried now about oxidation.....

Not the same issue I know, but my mild which I over primed with 200g of sugar I vented the bottles once a week for 5 weeks, and although they taste great, you have to open and pour almost straight away otherwise it's out the bottle still.

Back