AG#18 - Holy Mole Chocolate chilli stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's bloody freezing round these parts so decided to brew a real warmer upper. Inspired by Mexican mole sauce (one I haven't actually made for a while) spice and chocolate additions are getting added to an imperial strength stout.

Water additions
CaCl to get chloride:sulphate ratio to 2:1
CRS to sparge water only

Fermentables - 19L batch
5.1kg Crisp Best Ale malt
450g Crisp Chocolate malt
340g Crisp Medium Crystal
340g roasted barley
340g dextrin malt
230g flaked oats

Mash
60 min - 65C
10 min - 75C

Boil - 60 min
60 min addition
--30g Columbus
15 min addition
--20g Columbus
--1/2 dried habenero chilli
--4 dried guajillo chill
--2 dried ancho chilli
--1 cinimon stick

Yeast
M15 Empire Ale

Dry 'spice' 3 days prior to kegging
30g cacao nibs
1/2 habenaro (depending on taste, might get a whole one)

OG came in at 1.066. Doesn't taste overly hot at present, but I'd put a whole habenero into a couple of litres of curry sauce.

IMG_1889.jpeg

It's bloody freezing round these parts so decided to brew a real warmer upper. Inspired by Mexican mole sauce (one I haven't actually made for a while) spice and chocolate additions are getting added to an imperial strength stout.

Water additions
CaCl to get chloride:sulphate ratio to 2:1
CRS to sparge water only

Fermentables - 19L batch
5.1kg Crisp Best Ale malt
450g Crisp Chocolate malt
340g Crisp Medium Crystal
340g roasted barley
340g dextrin malt
230g flaked oats

Mash
60 min - 65C
10 min - 75C

Boil - 60 min
60 min addition
--30g Columbus
15 min addition
--20g Columbus
--1/2 dried habenero chilli
--4 dried guajillo chill
--2 dried ancho chilli
--1 cinimon stick

Yeast
M15 Empire Ale

Dry 'spice' 3 days prior to kegging
30g cacao nibs
1/2 habenaro (depending on taste, might get a whole one)

OG came in at 1.066. Doesn't taste overly hot at present, but I'd put a whole habenero into a couple of litres of curry sauce.

View attachment 41375
I will follow this one with interest. Sounds delicious, hope it works 👌

Bottled up today, at the minute a bit more chilli and a little less chocolate than I’d hoped for. If it was actually a chicken mole I’d be over the moon with the end result, let’s see how it turns out after couple of weeks in bottle.

We normally have a chilli festival on our local Moore, didn’t happen last year for obvious reasons.
There are just as many craft brew stands as chilli stalls, the last year there was a cracking ipa with infused chilli, it was exceptional, we didn’t move far from that bar.

We normally have a chilli festival on our local Moore, didn’t happen last year for obvious reasons.
There are just as many craft brew stands as chilli stalls, the last year there was a cracking ipa with infused chilli, it was exceptional, we didn’t move far from that bar.

I‘m totally up for some bottle swaps if it’s anyway close to drinkable.

If not, I’m totally up for bottle swaps after the next brew!

Nice. I thought that'll be a little crazy adding chilli to beer. But after read yours posts, doesn't seems too weird.
Anyway, I tried some tinctures with high proof alcohol. Hop tincture is just perfect. Cacoa powder doesn't work. Cinnamon and clove was good as well, but after testing it, I'm not adding to beer, just to coffee.
Coffee, not good, cold brew is far better. Maybe the oils are too bitter.
I was wondering if chilli peppers, especially the seeds, could be extracted by ethanol. Have you ever tried something like this?

Nice. I thought that'll be a little crazy adding chilli to beer. But after read yours posts, doesn't seems too weird.
Anyway, I tried some tinctures with high proof alcohol. Hop tincture is just perfect. Cacoa powder doesn't work. Cinnamon and clove was good as well, but after testing it, I'm not adding to beer, just to coffee.
Coffee, not good, cold brew is far better. Maybe the oils are too bitter.
I was wondering if chilli peppers, especially the seeds, could be extracted by ethanol. Have you ever tried something like this?

First time. The half dried habanero in the boil didn’t do a lot, but the whole dried habanero sanitised in Smirnoff overnight led to a massive jump in heat, like korma to madras levels of burn. I left it in primary for an extra week and it’s pulled back to a rather satisfying balti level of temp. Interested to see what 2 weeks bottle conditioning does, if the yeast cells haven‘t given up the ghost and are off putting the yeast equivalent of natural yoghurt and Andrex in a fridge, that is.

Latest posts

Back