AG#2: Dead Pony Club Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonD_87

Reaction score
Didn't get a chance to to do this over the weekend so taking a half day from work to get this done today. All my previous AG/Kits have been over 5%, most over 6%, so I wanted to brew a low ABV beer. I really enjoy the Dead Pony and I was planning a clone before the release of the DIY Dog. When the recipes were released I felt it was fate that I should brew this beer :grin:.

I put the figures from the recipe into brewers friend and I was a bit short on IBU's so had to add a little extra Hops to get the numbers right. I am a bit concerned about mashing at 62 though.

I will update this post later with pics.

One (silly) question, I am using a Camden tablet for the first time. I will be starting with about 23 liters of strike water. Is it just a case of throwing one (whole) tablet into the water prior to heating or does it need to be crushed or given time to do its job?

Batch Size: 15L
IBU: 35
ABV: 3.8%

Marris Otter Pale 2.08kg
Cara Malt 0.47kg
Crystal 150L 0.14kg

Citra 6g 60 mins
Simcoe 6g 60 mins
Citra 6g 10 mins
Simcoe 6g 10 mins

Citra 56g Dry Hop
Mosaic 47g Dry Hop
Simcoe 38g Dry Hop

Started with 20.19 litres of strike water. As it was a smaller batch than my previous AG attempts, the water came up to temperature much quicker, Got the BIAB bag in and turned off the heater at 66°C. The recipe called for a mash at 62°C but I felt that was a little low. Once the grains were in the temperature fell to about 64°C so wrapped it up nice and warm for 75 mins.

C3h8iQm.jpg

Temperature had dropped to 62°C once the mash was over. Gave it a good stir and removed the bag. Lifting a 2.5kg grain bill is much easier than a 6kg one! Took a reading and I was at 19 litres, pretty much bang on what was predicted. Again, it didn't take too long to get to a rolling boil so in went the first hop additions.

GrY5P8T.jpg

I didn't bother with my ghetto hop spider this time around, as it was a small batch I was just going to dump it all straight into the fermenter. Before the brew I read an article comparing two identical brews, one with trub and one without and the finished beer appeared to be pretty much the same. This would also save me time as previously I had been siphoning the wort into the fermenter, which was a pain.

Whirloc tablet added at 15 mins and in with the wort chiller. 10 min hop additions added and then onto getting the yeast re-hydrated. I least that was the plan, I couldn't find any yeast because I had forgot to order it online! As it was too late to get out and buy some, I just carried on and decided I would pick some up in the morning. Not ideal but lesson learnt for next time! :doh:

Took about 15 mins to cool and then into the fermenter in went, trub and all. Put into a water bath with my newly acquired aquarium heater.

Got 14 litres into the fermenter so the boil off rate was a bit higher than anticipated. A sample was taken and the OG was 1.043. I was thinking about adding water to get closer to the recipe OG but I will just leave it as it is.

gOJpqQV.jpg

Crush the tab and use a half.

I'd be concerned at mashing so low too. I've never tried dead pony club. Is it particularly dry of have loads of grains with unfermentable sugars in? If it doesn't I'd mash at 66C and see how it turns out. You could always make it again and mash lower

Thanks. Yes it is quite dry. I think I am going to raise the temperature a little, maybe 65/66. I have concerns how calibrated my thermometer is and also if I lose heat during the mash it may go too low.

Thanks. Yes it is quite dry. I think I am going to raise the temperature a little, maybe 65/66. I have concerns how calibrated my thermometer is and also if I lose heat during the mash it may go too low.

You can get an idea of how accurate (or not!) your thermometer is by holding it in the steam from a boiling kettle, then in a glass of water with ice cubes in (try not to let it touch the cubes). As for your mashtun - I insulated mine with an old foam camping mat. It holds temp very well.

Campden tablets work very quickly - almost as soon as the powder gets mixed into the water apparently.

When the recipes were made free I went out and bought a Dead Pony Club and really liked it. It's on my to do list so I'd be interested how this turns out.

I'm not a massive fan of brew dog beers but I've just bought a can of Punk IPA to give it a whirl in light of the recipes being released. Maybe my tastebud are a bit more forgiving this time round. I'll maybe try one of their beer recipes in the near future but I've a couple of other ideas in the pipeline first. Be good to hear how you get on with the one.

Made a bit of a schoolboy error here!!

Everything was going ok, I was a bit rushed as we have a 8 month old and my wife was having a (well earned) sleep whilst I was mashing/boiling. It didn't occur to me until I was cooling the wort that I had no yeast!!

I checked my malt miller order and I had forgot to buy it! As all shops are closed now my options are (into fermenter at 6pm) either:

1. Wait till 8am and buy some wilko ale yeast pitch about 9am.
2. Call the LHBS which opens at 10am and see if they have any american ale yeast. Il have to take a long lunch from work so wont get pitched till about 12PM.

Hopefully it will be ok by tomorrow. The recipe calls for Wyeast 1056. Will the wilko ale yeast give it a much different taste?

The Gervin would do a pretty good/similar job especially if you keep the temperature below 20C. But if you want to stick to the recipe the extra wait shouldn't be a problem, keep the FV sealed.

Made a bit of a schoolboy error here!!

Everything was going ok, I was a bit rushed as we have a 8 month old and my wife was having a (well earned) sleep whilst I was mashing/boiling. It didn't occur to me until I was cooling the wort that I had no yeast!!

I checked my malt miller order and I had forgot to buy it! As all shops are closed now my options are (into fermenter at 6pm) either:

1. Wait till 8am and buy some wilko ale yeast pitch about 9am.
2. Call the LHBS which opens at 10am and see if they have any american ale yeast. Il have to take a long lunch from work so wont get pitched till about 12PM.

Hopefully it will be ok by tomorrow. The recipe calls for Wyeast 1056. Will the wilko ale yeast give it a much different taste?

The Wilko Gervin yeast is a Nottingham yeast and I've found it to be very reliable, always kicking off nicely and giving a really good attenuation, about 80%, looking back through my brew record and running the figures through the calculators. For £1.75 for 11g you can't knock it when you only have to pop down the road for it when you're stuck ( in my case anyway). It's funny, only last week I bought a couple of packets to hold in the fridge, just in case.

Thanks. I will get out to wilko in the morning and pick up some of their yeast. Original post updated with some pics. Didn't get as many pics as the last brew.

Thanks. I will get out to wilko in the morning and pick up some of their yeast. Original post updated with some pics. Didn't get as many pics as the last brew.

I would go with the Wilko Gervin yeast too. It's a great yeast for beers where you want yeast neutrality and high attenuation, which is what US05 provides too. And it drops out better than US05, and you get a nice clear pour from a bottle.

Pitched wilko gervin yeast this morning. Didn't have time to rehydrate it so just chucked it in and gave it a good shake. The staff must of thought I was a bit mental waiting outside for the door to open so I can buy a packet of yeast!

Took a hydrometer reading after 12 days in the fermenter. Sitting at 1.012 which gives me 4.07% abv with an attenuation of 71% providing no further fermentation happens.

There was a bit of crud floating around the top so will give it another week in the FV. Will probably dry hop on Tuesday and bottle at some point over the bank holiday weekend.

AGRIiNj.jpg

Just trying my first bottle of this now. Been carbonating in the warm for about 8 days and 14 hours in the fridge. My first impressions are that I didn't get as much hop aroma as you do from opening a bottle of DPC. However, taste wise it is very similar. Quite dry and citrusy and each sip leaving you wanting more. Very impressed. :thumb:

Beer was quite clear and well carbonated so I will stick it in the shed for a week or so before trying again.

Looking forward to hearing how this tastes after some more conditioning. I had a bottle of DPC last night and by god it's good. So much hop aroma and flavour it's untrue. I have to make some myself.

Looking forward to hearing how this tastes after some more conditioning. I had a bottle of DPC last night and by god it's good. So much hop aroma and flavour it's untrue. I have to make some myself.

I drank them all a while ago, very quickly. Got to say I do love DPC and this was probably the best beer I have made to date (only made 5 AG so far!) and also friends who tried it were impressed :thumb:

Back