AG#3 "Chequered Flag" Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Original recipe here, but I changed the grain bill a little to accommodate some flaked barley for head retention plus some substitutions based on what the Home Brew Shop actually had in stock when I visited:
http://www.greatfermentations.com/fall-black-ipa-recipe/

I used 2287g Maris Otter plus 250g each of Munich, Cara Red, Chocolate Malt and Flaked Barley.

This recipe seems to use a lot of grain for the intended batch size - more on that later... I scaled the recipe back to about 10L -well, actually so I used 250g of the 500g grain bags I'd bought.

As is my vogue I mashed in my brew kettle in the oven which kept it constant at 66degC for an hour. I used a grain bag to separate the wort and then dunk sparge for 10 mins (in the oven again) - out of 15L mash + sparge water added I got 13L of beautiful dark, black wort.

It took about 15-20 mins to bring this to the boil on the large gas hob ring. Hops added as per the original recipe except Amarillo which I added once I started cooling - the Simcoe hops smell amazing by the way!

Now came the chance to use my new homemade wort chiller!!! In AG#1 it took me 35mins to cool 10L wort. Now I cooled it in just 10mins - awesome! Seriously, I was looking at the thermometer dropping like a stone and thinking is it broken!

Gravity was a whopping 1.072, higher than the original recipe and way higher than I wanted - in the end I decided to liquor back using 4L water bringing it back to a steady 1.052.

Unlike AG#2 I remembered to get my yeast out of the fridge in good time and smack it - Wyeast 1056 American Ale (which had blown up like an airship) was pitched, and by this morning it was off like the clappers.

Really looking forward to this, Christmas might be a bit optimistic but hopefully it should be done for New Year.

Update: After 3 weeks in the FV I bottled this evening.

Final yield from 13.5L (according to the FV markings) was 23 x 500ml bottles (or 11.5L).

FG was 1.010 giving me 5.51% ABV, and it tastes good.

Might try some at Xmas but hoping it'll be done enough to get stuck in on New Year's :-)

20181227_224053.jpg

@MyQul (and @Gunge ???) I'm gonna go ahead and say you were right about flaked barley for head retention! :laugh8:

Also seems to have a bit more body and mouth feel then previous brews though that could be down to one of the other grains.

I'm very pleased with this one so far, although strictly it needs to condition a little longer so will be sure to keep some back and not guzzle the lot! :beer1:

Only thing I would change is maybe a bit more hop aroma - it's definitely there but could maybe do with just a fraction more (but only just). A few days extra conditioning since I last tried it seems to have mellowed the chocolate malt aftertaste.

Overall I'm really pleased with this one - for me it ticks a lot of boxes and has many of the hallmarks of a "real" beer. Looking forward now to sampling AG#4 & 5 currently in the FV.

Cheers,

Matt acheers.

Last edited:
Nice one. I definately find FB add's body. I recently made two milds, one with FB and one with oats. Everything else was fairly similar. The FB one definatly had more body

Latest posts

Back