AG#3: Wheat Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonD_87

Reaction score
BIAB
Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (°P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.84 %
Colour (SRM): 7.5 (EBC): 14.8
Bitterness (IBU): 28.6 (Tinseth)

50% Wheat
42% Pale
8% Crystal 30L

0.7 g/L Amarillo (8.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort)
0.5 g/L Amarillo (8.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Amarillo (8.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Amarillo (8.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
2.9 g/L Amarillo (8.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 19°C with Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Recipe Generated with Brewer's Friend

For my third brew I was toying with the idea of a wheat beer or using amarillo hops. Whilst looking on HBT I came across a pale wheat recipe using just amarillo which I thought would be ideal. It is based on a beer called Gumballhead.

Started off with 25L of strike water. Mashed in at 71°C which brought the temp down to 67°C. Wrapped the pot up in all the spare towels in the house and a big duvet which worked great and I didn't lose any temp over the hour

jpaSlWl.jpg

Bag lifted out and squeezed. Obligatory marigold shot.

36dL1Z2.jpg

NoO2gdH.jpg

Pre-boil volume was 23L, 1L above the estimated 22L

FWH in after the bag was lifted and only took about 20 mins to get a rolling boil. 60 minutes hops added. Think the below photo was at about 50 mins. I missed the boil getting going as my dad knocked round and I was explaining how it all worked (making beer). He seemed a bit bored!

ImPyHK5.jpg

Wort Chiller in at 15 mins with a profloc tablet. 5 minute hops in, cooler off and the final hops added at flame out. Took about 30 mins to get down to 19°C. Final reading was at 18L, 1L under the estimated 19L.

7pOvICB.jpg

I stupidly took my hydrometer reading whilst it was chilling. I had a bit of a panic when it came out at 1.046 until I realised it was taken at 49°C. An online calculator calculates this at 1.055 which was bang on the recipe OG. I had a bit of a taste but a hot, flat beer is not very nice!

AaTjQl9.jpg

Yeast was rehydrated whilst cooling. I didn't bother straining the trub, I just poured the whole thing into the fermenter. Picture is showing about 17L which was what I was aiming for, however with all the trub I will probably end up about 15-16L in the bottle.

IiOMcpt.jpg

Did a hydrometer reading last night and looks to be finished at 1.013 which will make it 5.5%. Taste was really nice, think this will be a good one. Will give it another week then dry hop for 5 days.

Going to bottle this tomorrow. Any thoughts on how much priming sugar I should use? Should have about 15-16L.

Going to bottle this tomorrow. Any thoughts on how much priming sugar I should use? Should have about 15-16L.

3.75 Vols for a wheat beer.
13 g/l of corn sugar or 11g/l of cane sugar or 15g/l dme.
I like to use dextrose monohydrate (corn sugar) from wilkos as its a simple sugar.

Ended up with 30 bottles (+1 with a lot of trub in). Forgot to do a priming calculator so just guessed and went with 150g of sugar. A post calculation says this is 3.3 vols which seems ok to me.

Everything was washed and ready to go and my auto siphon wouldn't work :nono: The rubber bung in the pumping arm had bent and was letting air in so the siphon wouldn't pump. Ended up having to stick the turkey baster in the tube, removed the squeeze part and sucked it to get the flow going. Wasn't happy about it but I didn't get any in my mouth so hopefully it wont be spoilt. Looks like a new siphon will need to be ordered.

Tried my first one after 5 days in the bottle. Carbed up really well, perhaps a bit too much as you can see from the pic. First time using these hops. I didnt quite get as much hop aroma/taste as my 2nd AG which was also dry hopped. Still a bit early for the beer though so the flavours may come through more with longer conditioning.

BzM6c0l.jpg

Latest posts

Back