AG#36 Jim's Citra Weiss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Todays brew is based on a very enjoyable dry hopped citra wheat beer sent to me by @Jim Brewster a couple of months back. Hopefully I'll do it justice.

Water profile
Balanced
Ca 50 - Mg 5 - SO4 57 - Cl 57

Fermentables
3kg Marris Otter
2kg Bohemian Wheat
300g Torrified Wheat
300g Torrified Oats

Mash steps
43C 15 minutes - ferulic acid rest (I like cloves in my wheat beers)
65C 45 minutes
75C 10 minutes

Hops
8g Simcoe - 60 minutes (turns out I was short on Citra, Simcoe is pretty close and it is the bittering addition, so fingers crossed no real harm done)
15g Citra - 15 minute hopstand at 75C
25g Citra - dry hop 3 days (I might swap this out for Incognito for the craic)

Yeast
Mangrove Jack Bavarian Wheat M20

22L in the fermenter at 1.044. All in all, a cold but enjoyable brew day in the garage.

IMG_0314.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a good whack of clove in there too. I'll be keeping the fermentation temp under 20C for the first few days then I'll let it rise up to 22-odd. That, and the 43C mash step will hopefully give me a good balance of esters and phenols.

I'm hoping for a good whack of clove in there too. I'll be keeping the fermentation temp under 20C for the first few days then I'll let it rise up to 22-odd. That, and the 43C mash step will hopefully give me a good balance of esters and phenols.

Yeah i'd never heard that about the 43c step mash before, where did you read/hear that?

Yeah i'd never heard that about the 43c step mash before, where did you read/hear that?
I read about ages ago, then forgot all about it. It popped up again in the current Brülosophy podcast. They were trying to affect phenol production by changing yeast pitch rates. It got a timely mention in other ways to change fermentation profiles so I thought I’d give it a go.
I’ll usually do a rest in the low 40s with a wheat beer anyway to help preventing a stuck mash or sparge. The difference here was targeting the temp and holding for a full 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Wow. The M20 is a serious performer. My groundwater is at 8C so it took around 24hrs to get going as the wort warmed up to 18C. Then boom! Fermentation complete in 48 hours. (the iSpindle needs calibrated again. FG is lower than that).
View attachment 58543
It's a good yeast, feedback I got from a local commercial brewer on a weizenbock brewed with it I shared with him was that I'd clearly used a good quality liquid yeast 🤣.

This might not be helpful now, but is a weizen yeast what you want in an American wheat beer? 🤔

Back