AG#4: Centennial Camping Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonD_87

Reaction score
Original Gravity (OG): 1.040 (°P): 10.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.03 %
Colour (SRM): 5.4 (EBC): 10.6
Bitterness (IBU): 23.3 (Tinseth)

80% Maris Otter Pale
8.5% Carapils
5.75% Vienna
5.75% Crystal 15L

0.4 g/L Centennial (9.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Centennial (9.2% Alpha) @ 35 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (9.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (9.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 19°C with Nottingham Ale Yeast

Made this last week but didn't get a chance to write it up. Recipe was taken from the centennial blonde on HBT.

I was joined by a friend who likes his beer and wanted to see the brew process. We were also discussing an upcoming camping trip so decided to make this into a camping brew!

Got 24L of water in the pan and turned up the heat. He doesn't drive so I went to pick him up whilst the water was getting to strike temp. On return I had overshot the temperature slightly so had to let it cool. Once on temp I gave him the job of stirring whilst I poured in the grain.

ekfOKW7.jpg

Whilst the 60 minute mash was on, we headed off to Lidl to get some BBQ food and beer.

Boil started pretty quick and in went the 60 minute hop addition. Just as I was coming up to the 35 minute hop addition I made the same mistake as my last brew, I had not bought yeast!! Luckily this recipe was nottingham yeast so another trip out to wilko and I was back for the 5 minute hop. I had to get SWMBO to do the 20 minute one :mrgreen:

OG was 1.041, one point over target and volume in the fermenter was 17L, however I poured all the hops and trub in so will probably lose a litre or 2. when bottling.

Took a reading 5 days after and it was down to 1.009.

OE63wNu.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to get it to a campsite without distrubing the sediment and keeping it cold :-?

Now I just need to figure out how to get it to a campsite without distrubing the sediment and keeping it cold :-?[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking about this, too. my thoughts at the moment are to condition it in a pressure barrel, and then decant into 2l sparkling water bottles to take away. No sediment.

My thought are that it may end up flat after a couple of days, or if this was done a few days in advance, then maybe a 1/4 tsp sugar per bottle would suffice, albeit with a little more sediment...?

Hmmm.... I'd also be interested to hear thoughts on this.

If you're camping, just say bugger it and drink the swirl the sediment in before supping. If you don't drink it out of a glass, you'd never know anyway.

Last year I transported 36 bottles of home brew from Newcastle to Wiltshire and after the long motorway stretch, we had about twenty miles of rough, winding country roads. I was convinced that the beer would be ruined and stirred up. It wasn't. It was clear and crisp tasting and just as if I had simply carried it from the garage to the kitchen.

I often carry a few bottles upright in a bag on my bicycle when I go and have a drink with a family member. That arrives in perfect nick too. I am careful, but it can be moved and anyway, if it had been treated roughly, it would probably settle pretty quickly if left to stand for a bit. If naturally conditioned beer couldn't travel, old fashioned Bass could never have got off as well as it did.

Cheers

Back