AG#47 - Bramling Cross IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bramling Cross IPA - I wasn't actually planning to brew today, so I started late after throwing this recipe together. Its serving two functions; 1. I want to smell &taste Blackcurrant in an IPA from the Bramling Cross Hops; 2. It uses up a selection of Hops from the Freezer and pretty much depletes my base malt stocks.
I'd have preferred to have more Bramling Cross in the 80c steep but hopefully it will be adequate to give some of the characteristics I'm after.

Fermentables:
Lager Malt - 50%
Wheat Malt - 35%
Flaked Oats - 10%
Crystal Wheat Malt - 5%

Hops:
WGV @ 60 mins - 35g - (First Wort Hop)
Pilot @ 60 mins - 45g - (First Wort Hop)
First Gold @ 15 mins - 28g
Bramling Cross @ 0 mins - 39g - (80c Steep for 20mins)

Final Volume: 21 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 5.6% ABV
Total Liquor: 31.2 Litres
Mash Liquor: 12.3 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 80 %
Bitterness: 68 EBU
Colour: 17 EBC

Mashed at 66c and lost 2c of 60min period, achieving 86% Mash efficiency.
Boiled for 60minutes, old Lager yeast added as nutrient and Protafloc tablet added for the last 20mins.
Yeast is Safale us-05 pitched at 20c, dry sprinkled.

First Wort Hops in the copper:

80c Steep hops in along with the cooler:

Must be 1054 with a couple of divisions in the meniscus, Refractometer said 14.2 Brix (1055), so about a point lower than Target:

Pretty Seedy these hops:

Only 4 shots and not that exciting! :D

Looks good Franklin :thumb:

There's a lot of wheat malt in there :shock: get the finings ready :lol:

I've never used bramling cross, though iirc a beer I had at a pub in Derbyshire made a lot about the fact it used Bramling Cross and of it's blackcurrent aroma

Lets us know how it turn out :thumb: :cheers:

sounds like another good one :thumb: I brewed an all bramling cross pale ale ages ago that was pretty good if I remember correctly :lol:

:thumb:

I'm not worried about any cloudiness in the wort, after fermentation and bottling it will be nice and bright. :)

My parents have been making their own blackcurrant juice for ages and I have been wondering how well the flavour blends with beer. How strong is the blackcurrant flavour in Bramling Cross?

I am doing a stout with brambling cross today. All the hops go in at 90mins as you would expect for a stout but I was wondering whether to through some in after lights out to try and give it a bit of blackcurrant aroma.

Good Luck

AG

Franklin said:
Must be 1054 with a couple of divisions in the meniscus, Refractometer said 14.2 Brix (1055), so about a point lower than Target:
It is very likely that my conversion table is all to maggots, but 14.2 Brix gives me 1.058 SG.
Have you calibrated your Refractometer to zero with distilled water?
Just a thought. :D
Could be that I need to have a re-think. :(

Hope your brew turns out well, I'm very interested in your use of Bram X hops as I both use and grow them!

gurtpint said:
How strong is the blackcurrant flavour in Bramling Cross?
It probably depends on the freshness of the hops and the amount that go in on the 80c steep, the last brX beer I did it was very pronounced.

graysalchemy said:
II was wondering whether to through some in after lights out to try and give it a bit of blackcurrant aroma.
Go for it, it can't hurt, its something I've thought about before but not done yet.

evanvine said:
Franklin said:
It is very likely that my conversion table is all to maggots, but 14.2 Brix gives me 1.058 SG.
Have you calibrated your Refractometer to zero with distilled water?

No, maybe I should, I just assumed it would read correct out of the box... something to think about!! :) Cheers for that :)

none, its a bit like giving your plants compost... just give the yeast some good stuff for healthy growth.

Franklin said:
gurtpint said:
It probably depends on the freshness of the hops and the amount that go in on the 80c steep, the last brX beer I did it was very pronounced.

I'm trying to make up my mind whether to use these or Challenger for my oatmeal stout. I've never used either, so whatever may find its way in the first batch, there will definitely be an excuse to brew it again later on!

gurtpint said:
Franklin said:
gurtpint said:

I'm trying to make up my mind whether to use these or Challenger for my oatmeal stout. I've never used either, so whatever may find its way in the first batch, there will definitely be an excuse to brew it again later on!

Not more Oatmeal stout. Looks like the Scots will go without their porridge if we carry on brewing Oatmeal Stout the rate we are. :lol: :lol:

Go for the BX :thumb: :thumb:

No offence meant to our brethren across the wall, I am a scot by parentage

^ Yes yes, oatmeal stout it is! Seems to be all the rage here at the moment... I likes my oats and like a good boy eat my porridge every morning. Now I also get to drink it - good times! Might name it "Aamupala" (=breakfast in Finnish).

As for IPAs, a local brewpub does a quite nice IPA with some rye malt in it. I've been thinking if toasted rye porridge flakes could be used. Anyone ever tried it?

Not more Oatmeal stout. Looks like the Scots will go without their porridge if we carry on brewing Oatmeal Stout the rate we are.

:lol: :oops:

Sounds interesting this IPA - I think the blackcurrant aroma will lend itself really nicely to the slightly stronger alcohol %.

Latest posts

Back