AG#5 "Podium" Late Hopped IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I'd best get another brew on as it's been almost a week since the last one! :laugh8:

I had a load of hops left over from a Black IPA so i thought I'd try an IPA closer to the current vogue. This one is just Maris Otter (with a little flaked barley) mashed at 60degC for an hour.

I'd read something about late hopping so figured why not give it a go, nothing to lose, see how it turns out.....

I did a 60 minute boil and added Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra in various proportions 20, 10 & 5 minutes before flameout - that's right, no early bittering hops but according to Brewer's Friend the IBUs add up okay.

I've been ending up with a lot of trub previously in the FV, so this time i poured the wort into the FV through a fine sieve - which promptly clogged up! :doh: A bit of scraping with a slotted spoon and i dug out a load of sludge. Hopefully this will reduce trub losses when I bottle.

Finally I pitched a pack of Wyeast 1056 American Ale and tucked the FV in for the night - will see how it is in a couple of weeks but the plan is to dry hop with more Amarillo and Citra after 14 days in the FV. athumb..

Update - After some discussion on here I revised my dry hopping plans and so a couple of days ago I added 40g amarillo and 20g citra (there's about 12L in the FV)

I did a"gravity check " ;) this evening and holy moly it's tasting good - I'm really pleased I went with my gut and added more amarillo than citra, the orange is really coming through.

Need to get this bottled now - the sooner I do the sooner I can get drinking it! :cheers3:

Update :

After cold crashing in the shed for a couple of days it seems to have cleared up nicely and the hops that were floating around had sunk to the bottom of the FV.

Batch printed and bottled this evening and yielded 19 x 500ml bottles bang on target at 5.5% - a healthy amount but disappointed to lose so much to trub (the level in the FV was up to 12L).

However, it tastes amazing! Really orangey, with a great juicy mouthful that I'm putting down to the flaked barley. The next 2-4 weeks simply cannot go fast enough now! :beer1:

20190108_213834.jpg

20190108_214119.jpg

Update:

Well my resolve lasted a respectable 17 days - had to get stuck in this evening (pics below).....

*BIG* juicy tangerine hit! I think it's the flaked barley gives it the juicy mouthfeel, and the shedload of amarillo mainly that gives it the flavour.

Honestly, I can't say how late hopping affects the flavour compared with a "normal" hop schedule but it's definitely working for me athumb..

Cheers,

Matt :beer1:

20190125_212455.jpg

20190125_212509.jpg

Last edited:
Back