AG#5: Rye IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonD_87

Reaction score
Rye IPA

Original Gravity (OG): 1.060 (°P): 14.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.97 %
Colour (SRM): 13.5 (EBC): 26.6
Bitterness (IBU): 56.0 (Tinseth)

70% United Kingdom - Pale 2-Row
15% American - Rye
6% United Kingdom - Crystal Rye
4.5% United Kingdom - Crystal 45L
4% American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt)
0.5% United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate

1.5 g/L Magnum @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Galaxy @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Simcoe @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Simcoe @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)
1 g/L Galaxy @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Recipe Generated with Brewer's Friend

Havent done a brew since March so I was a little worried I may make a mistake but it went relatively smoothly.

Ended up with 21 litres (planned for 20) and OG 1.055, slightly less than the 1.060 I was aiming for. Not quite sure what happened here as my last brews have nearly all been bang on and I didnt change my process at all. The only thing I can think of is that it was a slightly bigger brew than I usually do (normally brew 15-18 litres) and the boil wasn't as strong as usual.

SWMBO wanted to cook tea whilst it was chilling so I had to turn the chiller off at about 25°. Currently sitting in a water bath before I pitch, although it is taking its time! I may have to wait till the morning.

Then whilst cleaning up I noticed I had spilt wort when lifting the BIAB bag and it had carmalised and burnt on the oven. 3 soakings and scrubbing of oven cleaner and it is now clean. SWMBO wasnt happy! :nono:

Only managed to get one photo.

1iK7YaF.jpg

I like the look of this, not sure if the chocolate will overwhelm the rye, but I'd like to try a bottle.

Fancy a bottle swap when yours is ready? I recently made hybrid Belgian Rye IPA. It's a pretty conservative IPA with around 40 IBU's and around 35g of dry hops. OG 1.054 FG 1.015. Ready start tasting in another week or so.

Hopefully it wont overpower it at 0.5%. This is my first attempt at creating my own recipe and I was basing it on commercial beers I have read about. Likely that they just use it for colour rather than much flavour.

Having trouble with temps at the minute. I think my aquarium heater may not be working as it wont drop below 25° and this temperature in a new build house is not ideal!! I am changing 2 x 2 litre ice bottles to try and get it down.

If everything turns out all right I would be up for a bottle swap. I will PM you once it is ready :thumb:

Was bubbling away every couple of seconds until yesterday so did a reading. Came in at 1.010 which puts it at 5.9%.

The sample was really good, iv got high hopes for this one. Will dry hop next week and try an bottle the following weekend.

Latest posts

Back