AG #6 and #7 brewdays and learnings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciaran12s

Regular.
Reaction score
Brewed a single hop citra golden ale and a California common this weekend.

For the golden ale I went my usual route of fly sparging but got the sparge water hotter to try and boost effeciency. It didn't work out. Haven't calculated but I hit short of my 70% target anyway.
For the cali common the next night I gave batch sparging a go and got 80% so well chuffed and will definitely be sticking with batch sparging for the foreseeable anyway!!

I've ended up with 3.5 litres extra from the common brew which I've put in a spare fv. (Added some "safety spare water" just in case) What to do with this? Is is worth trying to store for starters? Should I Chuck it in along with a coopers Aussie pale that's getting done tonight or tomorrow?

I also made starters for both brews just to try my hand. 1200ml water, 100g dme boiled for ten minutes. 500ml each to a litre soda water bottle and pitched the packet yeasts. It seems to have worked ok but time will tell. The packets dry are enough for the brews and that's what I normally do. The calculator however tells me that after this starter I'm still a few billion cells short. I'm not worrying about that as I should have more cells than had I just pitched the packets dry.
I pitched the starter during the transfer from kettle to fv. Any reason this is a bad idea? I half filled the bottle about 5 times and shook it like hell for extra aeration.

I also tipped the boiler back to get the trub to settle at the far end from the tap. This worked really well and both beers ran clear as a bell after 1 litre right through to the end. That's without using any kind of filter or whirlpool.

Slightly disappointed with the fly sparge again but I've tried all I can with it as it is and it hasn't worked well. I'll need a substantial equipmemt overhaul before giving it another go. The batch sparge was great though so happy with that and will stick with it.

Edit- forgot to mention that one of the Morrison's saver kettle elements chucked it's hand in getting up to the boil. I changed the fuse but nothing. No scorch marks or any obvious signs of damage. Has anyone managed to get one of these going again? I doubt there's much can be done other than replacing. This resulted in a less vigorous boil but I gave it an extra 30 minutes boil time which will hopefully balance it out.

Last edited:
Good stuff. I always find batch sparring to be efficient too. I would use fresh boiled wort for starters, and your leftover would make a good addition to a kit.

I think I went for the fly sparge option cos it gets typified as being more effecient and generally superior. All the batch spargers on here promote it and I'm one myself now! :cheers:

At odds with you, I tried batch sparging on my last brew and it got stuck!! That's a first and I won't be doing it again. I guess it boils down to what you're comfortable with. Re kettle elements - dunno about Morrison's but I got a cheapo kettle from Asda for less than six quid the other week. I suppose those basic kettles all use the same 'curly' element. If you don't practise it already, clean all the deposits off the element before every use until it's shiny. Then they last for ages, but will burn out in no time otherwise.

Was that using the stainless braid? I opened the valve about 75% (15mm) and vorlaufed about 5 litres til it stopped coming out cloudy.
Each to their own definitely!

Yeah it's probably the exact same elements in them all. This was a fiver odds. I didn't bother cleaning the elements between Fridays brew and Saturdays so that could well be it, although it's not too dirty.
I'll go and buy two I think. It would be a good idea to have at least one spare should that disastrous situation occur.

Ye - it was with the SS braid! I think I slipped up with using lots of flaked maize and whacking the tap wide open before the grain bed had settled properly. Oh well. Does your boiler not have two elements fitted already?

Yeah it has two. I was shi**ing myself in case the other gave up the ghost as well.

Actually I'm going to buy two and fit both so that there's a third. That way the spare is ready to go if needs be. It'll probably get used just for getting to boil every time but switched off after that.

Latest posts

Back