AG#6 - APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking ahead to AG#6!

I have ordered some calypso as it says it has apple and pear notes which sounds lovely.

This is what I've worked out.... (brewr didn't have calypso in the list so it's listed as "generic")

s0PIPub.jpg

Still a newbie really so if I've done something wrong let me know!

:thumb:

I take it you've put the AA% of the hops in? very important.

maybe more dry hops too, anywhere up to 100g is pretty normal for APA if you want that brewdog type hop flavour!

Good luck! what's that app like? I'm using brewing assistant free atm, but it's long winded and awkward to use...

Cheers mate.

I did change the alphas.

No worries then, 60g dry hopping, I'll use the rest of the pack :D

Looks good otherwise? Any need for the crystal and pilsner or am I just throwing them in there willy nilly? :wha:

pilsner is basically the same as pale malt in this case. you can brew an APA with 5kg of either, I just assumed you were making up what you didn't have in pale malt. I sometimes use 50/50, it's just lighter and cleaner.

crystal is quite nice, I like it, a lot of APAs use it. in this case i'd be more interested in the colour it leaves than anything. refer to this for examples;

SRM-Chart.png

it looks great either way really, it's a nice simple recipe and I'm sure you'll get on fine with it! :thumb:

What kind of FG am I looking at with an OG of 1.057? BrewR seems to suggest 1.014 but I think that's a little high....

I'll be using rehydrated S04

(Oh, and I'm upping the dry hopping to 60g of calypso :thumb: )

s-04 isn't very neutral, it's estery. it does make a good beer, but for APA you'd be much better off with US-05 if you want to stick to style, it's very clean and high attenuating

that said, apple and pear notes sounds like it would work well with s-04, and i've brewed APA style with it before and it's not bad :thumb:

home brew on the green?

you CAN grow it out of sierra nevada bottles, but it takes a week. i also assume that in that respect, it'd be easier to order online for a single pack of yeast :lol:

Just thinking.. should I dry hop with the rest of the cluster too to bring up the total dry hops to 110g? Or should I just stick with a single hop variety?

Sorry, another question..

With the drop hopping, I'm planning on butting them in muslin and weighing down with a teaspoon (should be sufficient?)

At what point will I dry hop? All bring well I usually ferment for two weeks then cold crash around 9c for a further week. Should I add the dry hops at the start of the crash cooling process for a week? Or earlier/later?

cool dry hopping slows the process down. it's gotta be in the warm really.

it's better in clear beer - but if you can combine processes in any way, i'd suggest doing that so you're fiddling less. I usually do it in the keg to avoid any risk of oxidizing (call me a cynic but I've lost beers before.)

teaspoon, you may need more. they're pretty damn bouyant.

I'll switch up my process then I think.... currently I'm doing an AG brew a fortnight and I want to keep the flow going, so I won't have access to my brew fridge after 2 weeks.

So...

Say I ferment as normal for two weeks, cold crash for 2 or 3 days then bring the beer out to room temp and dry hop for a further week? Is this enough time? I'll be bottling the beer inevitably so I won't be kegging

that makes sense, if you are happy to do so. i'm a total freak with getting it outta the FV and into the keg as soon as possible, so can't really comment :lol:

Just been reading , dry hopping is OK to start after the vigorous fermentation, It's the co2 that the beef releases during fermentation that pushes the aroma from dry hopping straight out the beer.

So I think as soon as I'm at / near my FG (usually less than a week into fermentation ) I'll add the hops. Should have another week at 18c then a week at 9c. That hopefully should be enough

Cheers for the advice !

Think I'm going to tweak the hops in this... I've decided to use cluster for bittering at 90 min and no other hop additions until the dry hopping stage... is this a good idea? I can then utilize the whole 100g of calypso for dry hopping...

I realised I had the wrong style selected in the software, I had American IPA selected instead of APA

Better? Or worse?

nBrhpxK.jpg

Latest posts

Back