AG#6 Belgian Wit (Greg Hughes)

Discussion in 'Beer Brewdays!' started by matt76, Jan 13, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jan 13, 2019 #1

matt76

matt76

matt76

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Feel like I've got my process pretty much sorted now after this brew (famous last words!). I've a good feel now how much liquid I'll lose in the grain and how much will boil off.

This is the first be I've tried from Hughes, is pretty much the standard Belgian Wit recipe from his book except I cut it in half to fit my normal 12L brew size:
    -1150g Wheat malt
    -950g Maris Otter
    -200g Flaked barley (a small change I made)
    -20g Saaz hops @ 3.0% AAU
    -13g each of coriander seeds and bitter orange peel
    -Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit (used my large FV as I gather this yeast goes a bit crazy!)

Having punched my numbers into Brewers Friend I think I'm pretty much bang on with recipe - also very useful to calculate the amount of hops needed to get the right number of IBUs.

For this brew I stuck with the recommended 60 mins mash at 65degC - might have a play in the future with stepped or decoction mashing. I'd also like to play with other flavour additions but for now I'll keep it stock.

Wort chillers are awesome! athumb.. Took only 5 mins to get down to 20degC (typically takes about 10 mins but I think the tap water was particularly cold today)

Only thing that's not clear to me, and it's not urgent yet, is how many volumes of CO2 are recommended for this type of beer - any suggestions appreciated! aunsure....

All being well, in a few weeks I would have a load of wit ready to go at around 4.5% :beer1:

Cheers,

Matt acheers.

2. Jan 13, 2019 #2

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Regular.

Good to hear, I've been tempted by that recipe but always had other things to brew. Might do one for the summer, but as I have a German wheat yeast on the go I'll probably do a hefeweizen instead.

Carbonation is stated as high in the BJCP guidelines, that normally means 2.5 vol for me unless I'm using thicker bottles. But recently I told by a member that he carbs up to 3.3 vol for some styles even in kopparberg bottles no bother.

3. Jan 13, 2019 #3

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

Brewed this in August..massive fermentation,took nearly a month to finish!

4. Jan 13, 2019 #4

darrellm

darrellm

darrellm

Regular. Supporting Member

Snap - I brewed this Sat morning. Only change I made was to use all Wheat (2/3 wheat malt and a bag of wheat DME). Fermenting with MJ21 Belgian Wit, it was off within 6 hours and is going crazy this morning.

I was in the Brouwerij de Halve Maan in Bruges a few weeks ago, which was the inspiration for making this - if I can get even close to a decent Belgian Wit I'll be a happy man.
    https://www.halvemaan.be/en/home

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. Jan 13, 2019 #5

matt76

matt76

matt76

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ah interesting - I had one in the Van Moll Brewery in Eindhoven a couple of months ago, flavoured with lychee and rosewater - sounds weird, tasted amazing!