AG IPA 15 days in the bottle- worth trying or no?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hengoedbrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all

very quick question; I'm new to AG and bottled a Citra / Cascade BIAB IPA 15 days ago. It has been sat in the cupboard to carbonate at 20c and that seems to have gone well, all bottles firmed up well. My plan is to move into garage for a week and then maybe try a bottle- does 3 weeks in the bottle sound reasonable for a first taste; or is it a waste of a beer which won't be ready yet?

Whenever you start to drink your brew just remember:
  1. It's already time to get the next brew going.
  2. The chances are that the last bottle will taste the best so ...
  3. Get to "Critical Mass" as soon as possible so that you can condition all of your brews for a long enough time to improve them. (2+2+2 weeks fermenting, carbonating and conditioning is normally a minimum for me!)
Enjoy!

Whenever you start to drink your brew just remember:
  1. It's already time to get the next brew going.
  2. The chances are that the last bottle will taste the best so ...
  3. Get to "Critical Mass" as soon as possible so that you can condition all of your brews for a long enough time to improve them. (2+2+2 weeks fermenting, carbonating and conditioning is normally a minimum for me!)
Enjoy!
Hi mate

Cheers- I already have everything sourced for next recipe; a Galaxy IPA...have to split childcare at home with SWMBO though so may have to wait a bit!

Have to agree get one in the fridge and give it a go, it’s amazing how quickly all grain beers can get to the drinkable. Also it’s worth saying that unlike other beers I find that IPAs are often best drunk fairly young.

Thanks all! I know with IPA's it's a bit of a trade off between it being too green to drink and catching it when the hops are at their best...think I will shove one in fridge for a couple of hrs with reasonably low expectations. If it's not good then that's more or less to be expected and if it is good....bonus!

Wise words to live by when I did my first all grain beer (Mosaic Pale Ale) I was surprised how good it was after just a couple of weeks. Especially since I previously did kits which seemed to take at least a month in the bottle to start getting good. It may well have improved with age however it didn’t remain long enough for me to ever find out.

So I cracked a 500ml bottle.

Carbonation was good, maybe a little overly fizzy. Little disappointed with the lack of hop aroma considering it was dry hopped with both citra and cascade. Taste wise you can tell it is a young beer, bit rough round the edges and quite bitter.

I will cross my fingers and will move it to the garage now for 2 weeks to see how it goes. It is a bit bland considering the hop bill, and given the effort and brew fridge expense that went into this one, I was hoping for better...but it is very early days I suppose.

Latest posts

Back