AG Recipe and brew pot not big enough

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
Just starting on AG and done a few 1 gallon batches and now planning a 10lt brew to fill a half size corny keg.
Planning to scale down the Black Sheep Ale recipe from the CAMRA Brew Your Own British Real Ale Book.
The grain bill for this is about 2.1kg which suggests a 'mathematically scaled down' mash liquor volume of 5.2lt by the book (does this seem about right?)
My main kitchen pan is 14lt brim-full, so I'm not expecting a problem even if I have to add more volume at the mash.

Sparging - the book mathematics suggest about 9.2lt (does that sound OK?). Not too worried about the mechanics of this as its BIAB and I have other slightly smaller pans and buckets that I can use in addition.

However for the boil, the volumes wont fit comfortably in my main pan.
Am I right in thinking that I could split the wort at this point? Keep the bulk in the main pan, do all the hop additions and the full boil in that. Then in a separate pan put the other volume, but I only need to boil for say 20 minutes just for the hot break, as there are no hop additions?

In theory I should get one volume overly bitter/aromatised and one that is just malty which after cooling, I can combine in the FV to make something close to plan.

Does that sound a sensible compromise on the equipment I have available?

Just starting on AG and done a few 1 gallon batches and now planning a 10lt brew to fill a half size corny keg.
Planning to scale down the Black Sheep Ale recipe from the CAMRA Brew Your Own British Real Ale Book.
The grain bill for this is about 2.1kg which suggests a 'mathematically scaled down' mash liquor volume of 5.2lt by the book (does this seem about right?)
My main kitchen pan is 14lt brim-full, so I'm not expecting a problem even if I have to add more volume at the mash.

Sparging - the book mathematics suggest about 9.2lt (does that sound OK?). Not too worried about the mechanics of this as its BIAB and I have other slightly smaller pans and buckets that I can use in addition.

However for the boil, the volumes wont fit comfortably in my main pan.
Am I right in thinking that I could split the wort at this point? Keep the bulk in the main pan, do all the hop additions and the full boil in that. Then in a separate pan put the other volume, but I only need to boil for say 20 minutes just for the hot break, as there are no hop additions?
In theory I should get one volume overly bitter/aromatised and one that is just malty which after cooling, I can combine in the FV to make something close to plan.

Does that sound a sensible compromise on the equipment I have available?

Or even simpler I could lend you a 25L electric boiler

Y'know as I was writing my original post I was having a private bet to myself that it would be my neighbour Santa OB who replied!
Why don't I just have you on Speed Dial? Save all this typing nonsense!

I would be delighted to accept your offer of a boiler loan, as I'm sure would my Mrs!
How do you want to make the arrangements?

Y'know as I was writing my original post I was having a private bet to myself that it would be my neighbour Santa OB who replied!
Why don't I just have you on Speed Dial? Save all this typing nonsense!

I would be delighted to accept your offer of a boiler loan, as I'm sure would my Mrs!
How do you want to make the arrangements?
I'll pm you

Does this open up a thread/threads for regional members who could 'loan' equpment for people wanting to try before upgrading, or for emergency when if they get equipment failure?

Does this open up a thread/threads for regional members who could 'loan' equpment for people wanting to try before upgrading, or for emergency when if they get equipment failure?
What a fabulous idea jof athumb..

This could work for small items also e.g. you have broken your last hydrometer or have run out of some key ingredient

As well as which it would help foster a sense of community - something we all need at the moment

When I first stumbled across the forum, there was a thread where people could say what area they lived in & a link to a map for those that volunteered their information

Back