AG Recipe kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_S

Reaction score
Only decided to get into Homebrewing since lockdown began. I’ve had moderate success with several kits but recently took the plunge and decided to have a go at all grain. I’ve study loads of posts and youtube videos so I’m ready to go for it.

To make it easier, I opted for a recipe kit from a well known kit supplier. The only snag I have at the moment is that the recipe is for a 23L batch. Does this mean 23 litres into bottle or like the can kits 23L in the FV and lose some through sediment and equipment?

What do the instructions tell you?
My guess is its your target volume in the FV after allowing for brewing losses like boil off etc.
If it doubt go back to your'well known kit supplier' and ask them.

It means you "should" bottle/keg 23 litres so your process will add extra water to account for grain absorption,boil off and kettle losses at the end of the boil due to break and hop materials.
Now...all systems are different and these amounts vary...you have to see what your kit does. To start you may make a bit more or a bit less but keep notes and adjust for next time.

It means you "should" bottle/keg 23 litres so your process will add extra water to account for grain absorption,boil off and kettle losses at the end of the boil due to break and hop materials.
Cheers Clint 👍

I‘ve looked at all the water calculations, so I’m aware of all water losses. Now I know that batch size is what should be bottled, I can work back from there.

Back