AG27 - Biere de Garde Ambrée

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serum

Landlord.
Reaction score
Est OG: 1.061
Est FG: 1.011
IBU: 23.6
Colour: 24 EBC
ABV: 6.5%
Yeast: WLP011 European Ale

Mash: 75 mins @ 64C

5kg Weyermann Munich type 1
1kg Dingemans Pilsner
200g Dingemans Aromatic
40g Weyermann Carafa I

Boil: 90 mins

30g Fuggles 3.2%AA @ 60 mins
30g Brewers Gold 3.76%AA @60 mins
20g Hallertau Hersbrucker 2%AA @ 20 mins

A pretty smooth brew day overall. I accidentally left the boiler on too long and overshot my mash temp meaning I had to muck around a bit to get it right but once it was there it held. I managed to find a grain bill that hit pH5.4 bang on without any acid additions which was good.

Another go at water treatment but pretty similar to my last brew. I added a little gypsum and quite a lot of calcium chloride to get around 100ppm calcium, 150ppm chloride and 50ppm sulfate. I'm aiming for malty but dry at the same time, which is typical for this style of beer.

After mashing I put 2L of the first runnings on a hob and boiled it down to about 500ml while I sparged and added that to the boil so the final colour was a nice deep orange. I managed to hit my target gravity pretty much bang on. I'd ran out of protofloc so I had nothing to fine with in the boil so I'm interested to see how that affects things. I'd used that every brew until now.

I cooled with an immersion chiller and pitched at around 17C.

It's my second attempt with this yeast. On my last brew the yeast got way too hot at the height of fermentation and I didn't manage to cool it down. It's got a bit of a strange smell which I think was a result and attenuated far further than I think it should have. Hopefully that'll age out but this time I've played it safe and gone back to my old fermenter and turned the heating off in the room I ferment in.

It's sitting around 18C which is perfect for this yeast. I've got it sat in a bigger container so if it goes like last time it'll be starting to pick up pace by tomorrow afternoon and I'll fill that with cold water and can also bung some ice packs in if that doesn't get it low enough. This yeast is a bit more fiddly than the very temperature tolerant strains I've used before but hopefully I'll be able to get round that.

Hopefully it won't be long before I can get a brew fridge sorted and not have to do all this messing around.

On to the pics!

IMAG0585.jpg

IMAG0586.jpg

IMAG0587.jpg

IMAG0588.jpg

IMAG0589.jpg

IMAG0590.jpg

IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0593.jpg

IMAG0594.jpg

IMAG0595.jpg

IMAG0598.jpg

IMAG0599.jpg

IMAG0600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My DIY temp control seems to have done the job, got a much more restrained fermentation this time round which is what you want for this style.

Internal temp was between 17-18 last night which gives it room to rise if it kicks off a bit more but it shouldn't get anywhere near the 24 degrees it did last time.

Wow I never knew we had so much in common! Next you'll be telling me you drink beer!

Not only do I drink it, I brew it too!

I'm attempting my first lager on Sunday. This cold spell is in for the next week, so I'm hoping to take advantage of the steady 13C in the cupboard under the stairs. Using WLP810 San Francisco Lager. The temp range is a little broader than some.

I gave this a gravity check today and a bit of a taste and sniff to see if it was anything like the last brew which used the same yeast but got a bit to hot.

This is thankfully nothing like that one and tastes good enough to drink already so I think I might have to re-do the last one ASAP. I'm really looking forward to getting this one bottled and conditioned. I think it could be one of my best yet.

I've saved a bit more of this yeast so I'm going to build it up again and use it for the next brew which is either going to be another stab at the Biere de Printemps or maybe a blond equivalent of this one.

Back