AG78 - Weizenbock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not unexpectedly the NHC competition was cancelled so I won't get the BJCP feedback on this and having never tasted another one I have no point of reference, but I was pretty happy with it and it came second in the March forum competition. I'm sure Grizzly Notations won't mind me sharing the feedback:

Aroma (12 marks): 7
The aroma features sweet wheat malt, caramel, spiciness and dark fruitiness with a touch of banana.

Appearance (3 marks): 3
Pours murky dark brown with a little white head.

Flavour (20 marks): 14
Baked bananas, tart apples, figs and burnt brown sugar.

Mouthfeel (5 marks): 4
Medium body, medium carbonation, dry figs and wheat aftertaste

Overall Impression (10 marks): 8
Well... Not a bad beer. I'm kidding, this was an eye opening if I had one. What a wonderful beer this was, sweeter than imagined, which was a good thing. The only thing that stopped this from winning was the aromas required a hard nose, but when they did come through, fantastic. Was a real pleasure mate. Thank you.

Total Score (50 marks): 36

Just bottled this tonight. 1.070 - 1.014.
Nice taste of the sample jar. What's the turn around on this beer style. Drink young or condition.

I like the sound of this....got all the malt except caramunich,and got MJ Bavarian wheat yeast...what can I sub the malt with and is the yeast ok?

I have never tried one. The sample tasted and smelled like banana not over powering. What flavour should I be getting when I try this

I have never tried one. The sample tasted and smelled like banana not over powering. What flavour should I be getting when I try this
Well they aren't as in your face as the lighter "session" weizens. I'd not mix the yeast in either but thats me.
Oddly I've never had one in Germany despite visiting the Schneider taproom (it had sold out that night) so I don't know how its served over there.

What's the turn around on this beer style. Drink young or condition.
I think they are typically aged, certainly more so than a weisse, but I found it was very drinkable within a few weeks.
The sample tasted and smelled like banana not over powering. What flavour should I be getting when I try this
Imagine a doppelbock with some banana and clove yeast character, although less so than a weisse.
Is my MJ yeast ok...
I've never used it, but yes it should be perfect.

MM on track for tomorrow so looking like I'll try and get this on Saturday...
I'm looking at the abv....would I be wrong to drop it to sub 5% as at 7% I'm gonna be spangled to quickly...?

MM on track for tomorrow so looking like I'll try and get this on Saturday...
I'm looking at the abv....would I be wrong to drop it to sub 5% as at 7% I'm gonna be spangled to quickly...?
At that strength it'd probably be closer to a dunkelweizen than a weizenbock, but that doesn't mean it won't still be delicious thumb

Back