AG78 - Weizenbock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some feedback on my Weizenbock from the head brewer at a local brewery:
"Weizen bock.
Poured and served at 2.5C
Pours with a nice tan head, good carbonation, sticky bottle conditioned yeast.
Slight haze as expected for the style. Chill haze only as the beer becomes clear as it warms.
Lacing lasts the whole beer
Medium bodied.
Characteristic banana esters on the nose.
Good ferment with a quality liquid yeast. Good pitch rate.
Very well rounded and balanced. No fermentation flaws present.
Chocolate and caramel notes are nicely balanced.
Superb beer and an excellent example, if I was being super picky, I'd drop your mash temperature by a degree or two just to lighten the body marginally. But, id drink again, and I'd buy this beer again too. Cracker mate, well done.
Can you tell me about the yeast, grist mix and mash temperature? 👌"

Interesting in that I wanted more body in the finished beer, and regretted not going for a less fermentable wort. I haven't forgotten that I owe you a bottle @strange-steve , I'll get one in the post asap

"Weizen bock.
Slight haze as expected for the style. Chill haze only as the beer becomes clear as it warms.
Medium bodied.
Superb beer and an excellent example, if I was being super picky, I'd drop your mash temperature by a degree or two just to lighten the body marginally. But, id drink again, and I'd buy this beer again too. Cracker mate, well done.

Interesting in that I wanted more body in the finished beer, and regretted not going for a less fermentable wort. I haven't forgotten that I owe you a bottle @strange-steve , I'll get one in the post asap
That's great feedback clapa
I actually wanted a little more body and sweetness in mine too, and the style guidelines do suggest that it should be full bodied. I suppose personal taste comes into it though.

I really must brew some wheat beers this year.....
I keep thinking that, but I have done a few wheat beers and keep thinking I should brew something different.
There are so many different beers to brew, do I re-brew one I have done before because I know it is good or do I try something new?
Which makes me think of people who say "I don't like beer", there are very many different beers, have you tried them all?

"Weizen bock.
Medium bodied.

Nice feed back. Have to say mine turned out really well. The only issue I had was carbonation. It was a mixed bag but that was my fault. I think I am down to my last 6😓

Latest posts

Back