AG9 - Darkstar Hophead Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
Finally got round to tackling this.

Was first serious attempt at water treatment. Used the forum calculator to adjust for a pale ale profile. In hungover state divided the crs by ten for some reason. Realised mid way through mash and so just wanged in the tun and corrected the sparge water.

Recipe for 20l in fv was 3kg MO, 250g caramalt with cascade (30g @60; 30g @10; 40g at switch off). Used a combo of S05 and Gervin as I am sure I read somewhere that they use a mix of yeasts being the above 2 plus S04.

Missed SG by a couple of points coming in at 1036 so will be a v light session ales. Bit concerned about how far iy will ferment down as mash temp was a little high. We will see....

That sounds incredible. I love cascade and need to put another IPA on, but I might dial back the initial hops to reduce bitterness, as that looks to be up in the 60's ibu

That sounds incredible. I love cascade and need to put another IPA on, but I might dial back the initial hops to reduce bitterness, as that looks to be up in the 60's ibu
I have it down more at the 40 IBU mark on my numbers - 6.5 per cent AA IIRC on the Darkstar website they reckon its 50.

As a postscript to this one, this was a brew I ended up bunging in 500g extra light DME in 2L post primary. By my calcs should take ABV up to 3.8 which was target. From taste in sample jar seemed to have lost something so after initially cold crashing let it warm back up and dry hopped with Amarillo ( on the basis Darkstar now says HH has Amarillo in recipe albeit not when). Still got hopes for this beer although notwithstanding high mash tastes a little thin.

Latest posts

Back