AHB Brewdevil 30L conical racking arm -> Cornie keg closed transfer help req'd

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidington

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm having some hose/connector issues. Hopefully someone can help.
I have an ~9mm OD valve (3/8 metric?) on my Brewdevil conical racking arm and need to connect it to a 3/8 (imperial) post on a cornie keg for a closed transfer. Does anyone have this particular FV and have the required connector/hose sizes? I feel I can't be the first one to have this problem and am getting unduly stressed out by trying to find a solution! Thanks all, happy brewing!

I have an ~9mm OD valve (3/8 metric?) on my Brewdevil conical racking arm and need to connect it to a 3/8 (imperial) post on a cornie keg for a closed transfer. Does anyone have this particular FV and have the required connector/hose sizes? I feel I can't be the first one to have this problem and am getting unduly stressed out by trying to find a solution! Thanks all, happy brewing!
How can you do a closed transfer if you cant pressurise the fermenter?

How can you do a closed transfer if you cant pressurise the fermenter?
I do have the ability to put a LIGHT amount of top pressure on the FV. I plan on hooking up a Co2 capture device so that co2 gets sucked back into FV during cold crashing. It was more the connectors I was having trouble finding. Once I have those I think my process will be sound. Thanks man

I do have the ability to put a LIGHT amount of top pressure on the FV. I plan on hooking up a Co2 capture device so that co2 gets sucked back into FV during cold crashing. It was more the connectors I was having trouble finding. Once I have those I think my process will be sound. Thanks man
You need more than light pressure to transfer, what you have to do is put a gas and liquid post in the lid with a floating dip tube. You can make a clamp using roofing bolts, some substantial ply to make a ring to go over the lid and use the roofing bolts to clamp the ring to the handles of the fermenter.
What you have to think about is the pressure building up inside the keg as it fills, you have to force that out as you are filling so it is going to take more than atmospheric pressure.

is you plan to connect the racking arm to the liquid in on the corny then then connect to gas post to where the the airlock, release a little pressure in the keg and let gravity do the work?

is you plan to connect the racking arm to the liquid in on the corny then then connect to gas post to where the the airlock, release a little pressure in the keg and let gravity do the work?
Yes my plan was to connect the racking arm to the liquid post (the connectors/sizes I'm having trouble finding) snd let gravity/light top Pressure help with transfer and let the co2 from the keg vent to atmosphere by way of co2 release valve or an open gas in. I may prime the keg which would obviously mean opening the keg and releasing the pressure but as long as it's full of co2 before beer I'm happy. It's finding the required hose/fitting for the transfer I just can't find.

Yes my plan was to connect the racking arm to the liquid post (the connectors/sizes I'm having trouble finding) snd let gravity/light top Pressure help with transfer and let the co2 from the keg vent to atmosphere by way of co2 release valve or an open gas in. I may prime the keg which would obviously mean opening the keg and releasing the pressure but as long as it's full of co2 before beer I'm happy. It's finding the required hose/fitting for the transfer I just can't find.
you might need some odd sized reducers, not too sure how that'll impact the flow rate.
Have you tried reaching out to Paul at Angelhomebrew? He stocks them so might have the correct bits in stock somewhere.

Yea i've reached out to Paul. I don't think he has the connecters. As you say, they are quite weird. and I'm surprised (according to Paul) that this hasnt come up before. Not really sure what to do. I might end up doing an open transfer from the bottom valve (1/2) inch using the MM silicone tube and priming the keg. 8)

Last edited:
It will have to be an open transfer, even if you were venting the keg as it filled it would be defying the laws of physics trying to empty a closed vessel because of the vacuum created that prevents the liquid flowing.
Just push some silicone tube onto the barb, flush the keg with co2 and fill it up with both the fermenter and keg open. Give another flush of co2 and you are good to go.

Yea i've reached out to Paul. I don't think he has the connecters. As you say, they are quite weird. and I'm surprised (according to Paul) that this hasnt come up before. Not really sure what to do. I might end up doing an open transfer from the bottom valve (1/2) inch using the MM silicone tube and priming the keg. 8)

I knew I seen someone do it before, hope this helps

I knew I seen someone do it before, hope this helps

Thank you so much! Managed to find various bits of hoses and now have it! I subscribe to Richards channel too just hadn't seen this vid. It was one of his vids that put me on to the fermenters in the first place! Cheers again!

This isn't a closed transfer. A closed transfer means just that, both vessels have to be able to hold pressure with the emptying vessel receiving some top pressure.
Making a loop expecting the vacating gas of a receiving vessel to be able to push the liquor out of the emptying vessel is impossible. Once the pressures in each vessel equalise then the flow would stop. Simple schoolboy science.
As he claims it only took 10 mins to empty the fermenter then that suggests substantial amount of air was being drawn into the fermenter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back