Airlocks

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Mastersmithson

Reaction score
I'm about to start my 2nd and 3rd fermentation simultaneously.

My main fermenter has an airlock at the top.

My secondary fermenter has no airlock however, it does have a tap.

For the fermenter without the airlock, what is the best way two brew?

kelper

Old Salt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just leave the lid loose or loose in one area. This will let CO2 out and minimise the risk of anything unwanted getting in.

thewelshwizard1

Celler boy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my fermenting buckets has an bubbler airlock but doesn't bubble due to a leak somewhere along the lid seal....didn't really matter to be honest as nothing can get in, still good brews from it had it for a few years now with issues,...apart from the worrying aspect of the bulge on the lid and it exploding

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
I do wonder...why a lid will bulge like hell yet the blow off tube won't bubble..even if the tube is clear....it can't be a lid leak...??

DSG

Reaction score
i find the same thing if i raise the outlet of tube closer to the surface of the starsan solution container it will start to bubble push it down towards the bottom bubbling stops lack of pressure?

thewelshwizard1

Celler boy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried that tbh fella still no joy...I'll be racking it soon anyway so the excess yeast can bubble off in the demi

ExpatBrewer

Reaction score
Haven't used airlocks for several years now. I don't think they are really necessary though I guess the bubbling does give a visual reassurance.. to those that need reassuring!

kelper

Old Salt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if all your kit is really clean, you could get away with no sanitising. But the risk/benefit ratio is too high. I've read that some people spray Star San on cling film!!! How can cling film fresh of the roll, harbour any microbes?

Group Builder