Alco~Coke

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

second2none

Reaction score
Alco~Coke
I have made this a few times now and it has always come out well!
And Like My Raspberryade it was originally posted on Jimsbeerkits Forum.

soda-club-worldwide-trading-sodastream-flavour-diet-cola.jpg

4.5L Water
800g White Sugar
3g Youngs High alcohol Wine Yeast
5g Yeast nutient
200ml DIET Coke Concentrate (from Dunelm Mill, Home Bargins or Currys)

1)Add yeast and a few spoonfuls of sugar & yeast nutient to a glass of lukewarm water cover and set aside.
2)Put sugar and half the water in a pan and heat till all sugar is dissolved.
3)Add the rest of the water to cool down the sugar water and add to Demijohn.
4)The mixture should be cool enough for you now to add your yeast starter but please check and allow it to cool further
if in ANY doubt (your looking for below 30c).
5)Top up with water, it doesn't bubble up too much so you can leave about an inch space before the neck then
fit airlock and leave it alone!
6)Fermentation should start pretty rapidly and will take about 10-15 days.
7)If you are patient with it it will go crystal clear on its own without fins or pectins.
When its clear and has finished bubbling add a further 4.5L of water and the Coke concentrate.
Add more water or coke to suit your tastes.
8)Batch Prime these on the low side, I use about 6g per 1L because I have had this stuff fizzing everywhere when
bottles are opened.
9)Bottle and leave to mature, I drink mine after about a week!

Its a very hyperactive drunkenness and has lead to a hell of a lot of dancing and what surprised me is it isn't far off tasting like proper coke! 5% approximately

Please note before you ask:
I use DIET COKE CONCENTRATE because it contains artificial sweeteners to keep use coke tasting like coke and keep it sweet!
If you use normal coke the sugars are fermented leaving the coke very bitter and tasting horrid. The overall drink comes out tasting good, and the colour and clarity is identical to big brand cokes!

I have some clearing at the moment so will post a picture in a few minutes.

Almost finished fermenting, I put a magazine behind it to show just how fawlessy it clears:
ejcy7l.jpg

The finished product:
t69w9c.jpg

Did i read this right - you ferment out the water and sugar first - then add another 4.5ltrs and add the concentrate to that?
Ie ferment out make batch up to 9 ltrs then mix in concentrate - or did i get it wrong ??
4.5ltr would make a cracking mixer with voddy :cheers:

My first attempt I left out the second 4.5L of water and it was too sticky/sweet and got me stupidly drunk extremely fast and honestly don't think it would have gone well with any spirit, it was almost like drinking treacle. I ended up drinking the first batch with carbonated water to thin it down.

Sooo that is why I add the second lot of 4.5L of water in this revised recipe!!!

And Yes I make it concentrated and water if down so I only have to use one DJ leaving my other two free to brew up other concoctions.

I suppose you could use any concentrate drink mix.
I am thinking the the energy drink or One of the fruit ones like black current raspberry and cranberry

I was a little scared of doing the engery one,
I found that it doesnt mixx too well, and if left all settles to the bottom of the bottle.

But yeah ur right any will work, I made a Dandilion and burdock one that turned out well
but since it wasnt diet the sugars carried on fermenting and made the bottles SUPER FIZZY!
:drink:

Well this looks like a nice recipe for me to try my hand at. :D

In theory, would it be possible to up the ingredients and make a larger quantity, or do you just recommend making it in small amounts?

Id say make it in small amounts the first time, then you can tinker with the recipe ratios
you might want it stronger or weaker both in terms of Alcohol % and sweetness.

And if you find something that works better (or even worse) please feel free to post ur results!
I have made this 5 maybe 6 times tweeking it a little each time so as long as I posted the right recipe version :drunk:
you should be off to a flying start!!

Sainsburys has started selling a limited number of sodastream flavours now, picked up a bottle of the diet cola yesterday and I have the sugar water fermenting now.

Can you taste the alcohol once it's made? I think I may add a little more sugar...

Duncs said:
Sainsburys has started selling a limited number of sodastream flavours now, picked up a bottle of the diet cola yesterday and I have the sugar water fermenting now.

Well at least I know now where to get the cola, this is a definite brew next payday.

You can taste the alcohol but only as in a alcopop and not like a vodcoke

I use youngs high alcohol wine yeast for this if you're going to add more sugar make sure you have a hardy yeast,
ale yeast and some cider yeast wont ferment out enough sugar! And give some thought to ur brew being too strong
I made one that was 10% and ended up with people becoming very drunk very fast.. and that kinda spoiled the night!

tried this with 2 different yeasts now and both seem to stick

last one i put on i made a starter while filling the demijohn

was nice and frothy bunged it in 2 days ago and nothing in my airlock

the one i put on 2 weeks ago seems to have got stuck around 1%
so made another starter bunged it in still nothing

any clues people?

the TC i put on 2 days ago is chugging away nicely

Titch said:
tried this with 2 different yeasts now and both seem to stick

last one i put on i made a starter while filling the demijohn

was nice and frothy bunged it in 2 days ago and nothing in my airlock

the one i put on 2 weeks ago seems to have got stuck around 1%
so made another starter bunged it in still nothing

any clues people?

the TC i put on 2 days ago is chugging away nicely
For the yeast to be happy, they need more than just sugar and water, try adding some lemon juice or a teaspoon of citric acid, and some yeast nutrient, it shouldn't affect the taste but the yeast will thank you for it.

just checked it has gone down another 10 since last checking

but bunged in some yeast nutrient and some citric acid anyway for good measure

I have to admit, it's not the fastest ferment I've ever seen, mine is getting there slowly, I started it 2 weeks ago and I think I have another 3 or 4 weeks to wait until the yeast has done its job

I started mine on sunday and its rocketing away, it was a slow start but i was getting 120 burps per min from my airlock

Im a Wurzles Orange Wine maker so added yeast nutrient from the start.

I may actually add my gingerbeer plant to the finished brew or even make a gallon of coke and a gallon of ginger.

MM

humm yeah, my brews are all taking a while to ferment out,
I was thinking that it was just because it hasnt been too warm.

And for those people getting stuck ferments then yeahh get some yeast nutient in there.
I think that the youngs strong wine yeast comes with nutients already in to give it that extra booom

I will edit the original recipe, but personally I have never had any problems with any cokes sticking :)

Latest posts

Back