Alcohol free beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only the Pale is any good though IMHO. Although, the sour might make a nice refreshing summer drink.
I think the milk stout is ok too. Had the brown last night and it was ok, but a bit thin (to be expected). Not tried the sour yet, but have a bottle in the cupboard.

The Adnams booze-free version of Ghost Ship is excellent too. M&S also do a alc-free pale ale made by Adnams - I’ve not compared them to see if it’s the same recipe or if the Marks and Sparks version is tweaked.

Apparently the Brewdog Nanny state is quite drinkable !! But I’ve not tried it

It’s not bad.
When they first released it, it was the best alcohol- free ale out there (it was the only drinkable one!) but there’s a lot more competition now.

Buy some of those 4 for a quid cans - put some hops in a cafetiere and either put the beer straight in or make a cheeky hop tea - boom!

Just bought a 4 pack of this stuff... :vomitintoilet:

Why is it proving so difficult to create a decent alcohol free drink in this day and age...

Warsteiner Fresh is the best effort at a lager that I have encountered... Genuinely difficult to tell the difference but if Nanny State is the best ale available then I'll give up now!!

I’m designated driver for a BYOB do tonight and planned to pick up some NA beer to take. £4.50 for 4 cans! I got 6 Dr Peppers for £2.50 instead.

And I promise you you made the right decision... I'm just hoping it hasn't done any lasting damage to my taste buds...

Plus what do I do with the remaining 3 cans?

It's beyond bad...

There's not much out there AF that I haven't tried and one I highly rate that isn't mentioned (in detail) on this thread is the Erdinger. It's probably avoided because it's got the word 'Isotonic' stamped on the front and/or the price can be a bit off putting to say the least!

Prices range from £1 a bottle (500ml) at Tesco (on sale - £1.30 normally I think), £1.20 Sainsburys and the worst £1.80 Asda.

I'm not the only one that thinks this as it sells out constantly at my local Asda (yes, even at that price!). Fellow home brewers at the work also give it top marks athumb..

I've just recently tried the Ghost Ship (500ml), it's def worth a try but I'm not a fan of the Nanny State as it's not that great (it's not bad either though) and expensive for 330ml cans when I'd rather have 500ml bottles! Sainsbury also do a Czech lager at a £1 a bottle which is a worth mention too.

For those of you that would rather have a cup of tea or a soda, that just doesn't scratch my itch for a cold beer. And I've tried all the fancy soda's, ginger beers, tonic waters, herbal tea's etc. etc. When I come back from a long walk or mountain bike ride late afternoon at the weekend, I really enjoy an ice cold Erdinger (or 3!) straight from the fridge. Sticking the kettle on just wouldn't do it for me but each to their own I suppose :cheers3:

Absolutely... It definitely is each to their own because I chucked half of bottle of Erdinger at the weekend..!!!

Very wheaty... Tastes like shreddies in a bottle... Not for me I'm afraid.

Kids couldn't even drink it and they love shreddies!!!

I read once that it's down to the process used to make it alcohol free... If the alcohol is "removed" from what was once an alcoholic beer then that's when you get the nasty tastes however if its a big brewery that actually brews an alcohol free beer using a different process then apparently it's much better...

Thoughts?

I'm currently drinking a St Peters "without" and it's a pleasant surprise, albeit slightly weird.

Very bready/malty aroma, almost like they carbonated post boil wort and bottled it!

Yep my thoughts exactly - out of curiosity I tasted a bit of the concentrated malt from a home brew kit and yeah this is exactly what it tasted like. I tipped it down the sink :(

The Adnams booze-free version of Ghost Ship is excellent too.

Yeah this was alright, tickled the 'I want a beer' itch :)

Apparently the Brewdog Nanny state is quite drinkable !!

Yeah this one was alright too.

But yeah, the St peters and the Erdinger tasted nothing like beer, and just like malt.

Dont think Ive seen a shout out for it yet but Brewdog do a raspberry sour. Not sure it tastes like beer but one of the better alternatives IMHO.

Dont think Ive seen a shout out for it yet but Brewdog do a raspberry sour. Not sure it tastes like beer but one of the better alternatives IMHO.

It’s ok that one, but as you say, it’s not beer.
Also it didn’t quite scale up from it’s small batch predecessor Raspberry Popsicle which is lovely and only occasionally found in bars.

I plan to brew a 13.5 litre batch at 4%, ferment it to 90% completion, remove 12 litres and heat to 80 deg C for 1 hour, cool, and add back and ferment out. Will advise on the outcome...........

So I brewed a low alcohol wheat beer yesterday having taken inspiration from what was said around using Rye and Oats and ended up with the following:

5 gallon batch, overshot the gravity quite a bit with an OG of 1014 (Was aiming for 1010) but I just kept putting a little bit more of everything in.... hopefully the FG wont be so low.

Recipe was:

Crisp Pale Rye Malt 500g
Wheat Malt 400g
Carapils 200g
Flaked Wheat 400g
Rolled Oats 400g
Crystal Rye Malt 100g

Mash 68C - 1 hour (Probably could have been less)

50g Hallertauer Mittelfruh (start)
50g Saaz Flame out

Yeast WLP380 Hefweizen IV

I'll let you know how it turns out in a few weeks once it's kegged

I know I'm resurrecting a thread - but how did it turn out??

Back