Alcohol taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
I've noticed in my last two wines - both around 13-14% that there is a real alcohol taste. It's almost spirit vodka like which detracts from the wine taste.

Why is this ? Too young to taste ?

Help as always appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got this with a vimto wine I made, and it's pure rocket fuel... One glass and it's bedtime. I suspect it's just due to the high amount of sugar that's in the recipie that gets converted to alcohol. It doesnt go away either...my vimto wine is over a year old and the alcohol taste is just as strong.

I also wondered if it was to do with using too much yeast...

I've noticed in my last two wines - both around 13-14% that there is a real alcohol taste. It's almost spirit vodka like which detracts from the wine taste.

Why is this ? Too young to taste ?

Help as always appreciated.

My meads were very hot and unpleasant, but 9 months conditioning has worked wonders. On the other hand, two Belgian beers were bottled hot and have barely improved in 14 months. Only time will tell!

So you think under pitched ?

Not necessarily. Stronger drinks inevitably take longer to condition. Under-pitching can cause hot tastes, but so can low viability, temperature fluctuations, lack of nutrient, or fermenting too hot.

Latest posts

Back