Alcotec 20% alcohol yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used this as a base for doing spirit style infusions - blackberry whisky, sloe gin and the likes?
If so how did they turn out?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've used it to ferment sugar only mashes to 18%. The reason I stop short of the 20% is because I want the finished brew to be as dry as possible so that the Teisseire Syrups (*) (bought in France) give me the relevant sweetness and flavours.

The yeast works and a full brew can produce 23 litres to play with. SWMBO and I both like:
  • Citrus
  • Peach
  • Strawberry
  • Black Cherry
... and I like ...
  • Mint (as per Freezomint)
  • Grenadine (aka Pomegranate)
They taste like really nice liqueurs and at +/-17% they need to be served in small glasses!

That's the good news!

The bad news is that even using the Alcotech Carbon additive during fermentation and the Alcotech Clear System it can take ages to get a completely clear brew to start adding the syrup. As a result, the last batch that I brewed sat on the shelf in DJ's for three months to let it clear properly.

(*)
The Lowicz Syrups (available in Lidl) will do the job just as well but they have a limited range of flavours.

Back