AlderneyBrew's Brewdays.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20220918_164042.jpg

I haven't posted on my brew day thread for a while, but today is a special day. I found some wild hops yesterday. Oddly they were in the ruins of a Victorian era ammunition building. As they were in perfect condition for harvesting I went back today after the funeral and picked them all, with owners permission. I figured they must be an English hop and they smell great!
So an English IPA for her Majesty is just coming to the boil. Bittered with Challenger pellet as FWH. The green hops, 300g of them will be late addition, probably as scientific as a handful every couple of minutes with 15 mins to go, kind of 60 minute IPA style.

View attachment 75167
I haven't posted on my brew day thread for a while, but today is a special day. I found some wild hops yesterday. Oddly they were in the ruins of a Victorian era ammunition building. As they were in perfect condition for harvesting I went back today after the funeral and picked them all, with owners permission. I figured they must be an English hop and they smell great!
So an English IPA for her Majesty is just coming to the boil. Bittered with Challenger pellet as FWH. The green hops, 300g of them will be late addition, probably as scientific as a handful every couple of minutes with 15 mins to go, kind of 60 minute IPA style.
Same here in Jersey, foraged 1.2kg of hops today from 1 of my 4 known spots. Just gonna have to dry them and freeze them though until I'm ready for the next brew. The house smells outrageous at the moment.

Do you know what they are or have you used them before so know they taste good?
I've no idea what these are but like yours they smell great.
No idea on the type although I also have some prima Donna/First Gold growing in the garden. The wild ones smell a bit more citrussy/freshly mown grass with a hint of funk. I may well end up 2 or 3kg worth this year but obviously that's wet weight so more like 1/5th when dried.

No idea on the type although I also have some prima Donna/First Gold growing in the garden. The wild ones smell a bit more citrussy/freshly mown grass with a hint of funk. I may well end up 2 or 3kg worth this year but obviously that's wet weight so more like 1/5th when dried.

Attachments

• 20220920_145014.jpg
    20220920_145014.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220920_145257.jpg
    20220920_145257.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
Back