AlderneyBrew's Brewdays.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely sunny day here in the Channel Islands so it's perfect for standing in the garden faffing with a brew.
Today it's a Belgian Dubbel(ish).

Only have 3kg of Belgian Pilsner Malt but want to do a 22l batch, so the good old MJ 1.2kg pouch of LME will come into play.
Candi sugar amount will be adjusted to get to 7% ish.

Here's the grain bill -
3kg Belgian Pilsner
400g Pale lager malt (to use it up)
400g Special B
300g Caramunich 1.

25g Perle Leaf @60
25g Styrian Goldings @15

IBU 21.23.

Just started the mash at 66C

First thoughts are that this considerably smaller grain bill, than I have done before, is a lot easier to manage in the Brewzilla!

It was all going so well!
Effortless mash and sparge, much easier than the last brew with oats in.
Had the usual 29 litres in the boil but even after 75 mins I still had an indicated 27 litres, with the chiller in, so carried on cooling.
Put the brewzilla on to whirlpool after I took the chiller out, rested the lid on "just in case" and turned my back on it.
You guessed it, I heard a crash and the sound of breaking glass!
Ended up with at least 25 litres so had to split it between 2 FVs.
OG of 1.062, so not a disaster and I've got a hell of a lot of it! :D

Only have 3kg of Belgian Pilsner Malt but want to do a 22l batch, so the good old MJ 1.2kg pouch of LME will come into play.
Candi sugar amount will be adjusted to get to 7% ish.
FI used Candi sugar for the first time this week, in my festive ale. It's nice stuff isn't it? I still have to overcome a slight aversion to adding sugar to my wort - the Puritan in me says the sugars should come from the malt; but I know it's absolutely standard practice :-)

What sort of brewhouse efficiency do you get?

FI used Candi sugar for the first time this week, in my festive ale. It's nice stuff isn't it? I still have to overcome a slight aversion to adding sugar to my wort - the Puritan in me says the sugars should come from the malt; but I know it's absolutely standard practice :-)

What sort of brewhouse efficiency do you get?
TBH brewhouse efficiency is something I haven't even attempted to work out yet!
I will have a look at how but for now I'm just happy to get a surprise each time I brew! 😂

How have I missed this thread so far? Great to hear that your brewing is going well matey, apart from your lid accident, that is.
All sounds very technical and time-consuming to an old goo-in-a-tin kit brewer like me but I'll have to pop round on one of your brewdays and see your setup in action.

Nice thread and glad to hear things are brewing well on the other Channel Islands too! I'm a little further south in Jersey! Perhaps we should do brewday exchanges and schedule in some day trips to the other islands for brewdays :D :onechug:!
Greetings Southerner! Hopefully there will be a small passenger boat doing trips to Jersey next year, so you could be on!
For other forum members who may read this - you would be astounded at the lack of transport links between the Channel Islands. I can see Jersey, Guernsey, Sark and the closest is mainland France but we only have air links to Guernsey at around £150 return for a sub 10 minute flight! No boat services at all currently.
This dire situation has nothing to do with the pandemic, it's been like it for years!

Greetings Southerner! Hopefully there will be a small passenger boat doing trips to Jersey next year, so you could be on!
For other forum members who may read this - you would be astounded at the lack of transport links between the Channel Islands. I can see Jersey, Guernsey, Sark and the closest is mainland France but we only have air links to Guernsey at around £150 return for a sub 10 minute flight! No boat services at all currently.
This dire situation has nothing to do with the pandemic, it's been like it for years!

It is a bugger not being able to easily or cheaply visit the other islands and I particularly miss trips to France. Hopefully, that may change to some degree next year in the Hedgehog boat is a success and the expand their services as they are hoping. At the moment, weather permitting, they are running Alderney-Guernsey services at only £35 each way. Bargain!

Sunday Brewday!
Just got a Two Hearted American IPA coming to the boil, from MM.
It was a toss up between this and the Sierra Nevada.
But this won as I tried a bottle of SN in the week and I've never tried 2 Hearted.
I just hope it's better than the Partridge Bros review on YouTube! ashock1

Well that was an easy day for a change.
Took my time and really let it settle in the 'zilla after cooling, as recommended on here.
The result was easily the clearest wort I've ever had and i was nearly bang on with OG and volume.
I got 20 litres at 1.062, the recipe was 19 litres at 1.063, so pretty happy with that.

Next week - Leffe Clone from MM athumb..

Sunday Brewday!
Just got a Two Hearted American IPA coming to the boil, from MM.
It was a toss up between this and the Sierra Nevada.
But this won as I tried a bottle of SN in the week and I've never tried 2 Hearted.
I just hope it's better than the Partridge Bros review on YouTube! ashock1

I think Bells Two Hearted is a pretty good beer and if your clone is anywhere close I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:
I hope so mate.
It got a bit of a roasting on a YouTube video by a couple of guys who TBH are pretty good.

Starts at about 9 mins 15 secs.

But it's a style I like, too late now anyway! :D

If you like centennial hops you will like it.
It's been voted the best beer in America for 4 consecutive years by the American Homebrewers Association.

https://www.freep.com/story/enterta...-hearted-ale-bells-brewery-review/6008513002/
I pick a couple up at the grocery every once in a while.

It's not my absolute favorite but it's a good beer.

Good luck with your brew I hope it turns out good for you.

Back