AlderneyBrew's Brewdays.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays brewday is a Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome tribute.

Had to modify the grain bill a bit and substituted Biscuit Malt in the place of some Crystal.

5.3Kg Maris Otter.
340g Biscuit Malt.
230g Crystal Malt.

Mash at 65C for 90 mins.

90 min boil.

Hops -
20g EKG @90
14g EKG & Fuggles @15min
28g EKG at flameout.

Yeast MJ M44.

Supposed to be a 19 litre yield at 6.7% but the recipe calculator estimates 7.32% so will probably aim for 21 litres or so.

Last edited:

Had to modify the grain bill a bit and substituted Biscuit Malt in the place of some Crystal.

5.3Kg Maris Otter.
340g Biscuit Malt.
230g Crystal Malt.

Mash at 65C for 90 mins.

90 min boil.

Hops -
20g EKG @90
14g EKG & Fuggles @15min
28g EKG at flameout.

Yeast MJ M44.

Supposed to be a 19 litre yield at 6.7% but the recipe calculator estimates 7.32% so will probably aim for 21 litres or so.
Looks a nice recipe, I see your a 90/90 brewer I was until I joined this forum now do 60/60 and the beers still taste the same 😀

5.3Kg Maris Otter.
340g Biscuit Malt.
230g Crystal Malt.

Mash at 65C for 90 mins.

90 min boil.

Hops -
20g EKG @90
14g EKG & Fuggles @15min
28g EKG at flameout.

Yeast MJ M44.

Ooof, that sounds good! Looks like an air route opening between you and Jersey so maybe we can have a sampling day after all!

Ooof, that sounds good! Looks like an air route opening between you and Jersey so maybe we can have a sampling day after all!

Could be a little while before AA start a Jersey route. They haven't applied for route licences yet, but my fingers are crossed that our glorious leaders don't obstruct the process.
A sampling day would be great, though my offering would most likely be a mildly tweaked kit beer. I have yet to take the deep breath and jump down the rabbit-hole of all-grain brewing.
However, I do have some rather promising redcurrant wine to bring to the table...... 😊

Well as usual all my calculations of liquor volume etc were way out!
I was hoping for 21 or 22 litres in the FV so started the boil with 26 litres.
Lost the usual 3 litres in the hour of boiling.
Left it all to settle for a good hour after chilling.
But still only got about 19 litres. at 1.060, so my efficiency is well down too :confused:

It's a Sunday Brewday here on the rock.
In the garage for the first time as it's blowing a hoolie today!

Leffe Blonde clone from Malt Miller.
Going to take it really steady with the doughing in as I've had a problem with stuck mash for the last couple of brews in the 'zilla.
Also no hop spider (as advised by many) but it's a small hop addition anyway.
I won't post the recipe here as it's on the MM website.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/belgian-blonde-leffe-clone/

IMG_20211121_100203.jpg

No stuck mash today. Temp spot on too. I feel confident enough to leave it and walk the dogs!

Well that went well.
Ended up with 25 litres at 1.068.
I always seem to get really good efficiency with Malt Miller AG kits and no stuck mash.
Obviously I fiddled with the recipe and added 100g of melanoidin malt to the mash and 25g of crushed coriander at 10 mins. ;)
Watching F1 is the best way to settle the wort, clearest I've ever had.

Coriander sounds an interesting tweak. I can imagine that suiting a Biere Blonde well.

A bit of a clear out brew today.
Need to thin out the hops stash in my freezer a bit so decided on the 60 Minute IPA from Greg Hughes' book.
Simple grain bill of Pale malt and a heavy hop schedule of Chinook, Amarillo and Cascade added every 5 minutes after 30 minutes of the boil. A total of nearly 200g of hops.
That should help clear out some hops!

Well it was all going so well!
I was transferring the cooled wort into 10 litre buckets for transportation and as I stepped up into the garage to fill the last bucket I tripped.
Unfortunately the one thing in my way was the Brewzilla!
It got tipped over, the lid fell off and smashed (2nd one) and I lost about 3 litres all over my stash of clean Grolsch bottles. aheadbutt

So I ended up with 21 litres and a whole lot of cleaning up to do :rolleyes:

I'd only had a couple.....honest!

Happy New Year All!
I got Gordon Strong's book "Brewing Better Beer" for Christmas and have been reading about First Wort Hopping.
So todays brew is a Citra Pale Ale, loosely based on the Greg Hughes recipe for single hop ale.

5kg Maris Otter.
250g Carapils.
15g Citra 12%AA FWH.
10g " " " @ 10 mins.
10g " " " @ 5 mins.
25g " " " @ whirlpool.

IBU about 30.
ABV about 5.3%.
23 litres (hopefully).I'm not after a bitter beer so 30 is about right I think.

Nice easy brewday.
I find the Brewzilla immersion chiller to be a bit rubbish TBH.
Before I had the BZ I made my own out of copper pipe and the water that came out of it was scorching hot. The BZ stainless one is luke warm by comparison.
But I'm not that bothered as I'm in the "container and chill overnight" camp anyway.
The only calamity was that on cleaning the BZ I must have knocked on the heating element switches with it completely empty.
When I returned to the garage with the bits I'd cleaned in the kitchen there was a beeping sound.
I had Radio 1 on (cos even at 55 I'm down with the kids :laugh8:) and thought thats and odd beep in the track playing.
Only when I decided on one more quick wipe of the BZ did I realise my error as I burnt my hand on the glowing base!
God I love this hobby!

Latest posts

Back