AlderneyBrew's Brewdays.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20220130_173257.jpg

23 litres in the fermenter and a point or so higher in the OG, but that's fine by me.
Pitched a CML Voss Kveik at 40c as recommended by The Baron.

Garage brewday today as it's blowing a force 9 gale!

Doing the Helicopter Pale Ale with a recipe pinched from Cheshire Cat.

Upped the grainbill a little to get 23 litres, plus I had 250g of Carapils to use up, rather than the 200g in CC's recipe.
Also swapped out the bittering hops to First Gold as I haven't got much Chinook, and I'm going to whirlpool all the Chinook.

5kg Maris Otter.
250g Wheat Malt.
250g Carapils.
35g First Gold 8% @ 60 mins.
50g Chinook at 90C whirlpool.

Re pitching Voss Kviek harvested from last weeks brew at 40C.

So 2.5kg of Dextrose in 22 litres of RO water.
Quick 10 minute boil. Most recipes don't call for a boil but that didn't sit right with me!
Anyway it was extra sanitising for the coil chiller.
Into the FV and pitched with CML Hard Seltzer yeast, with added nutrient included (I also added extra nutrient at the end of the boil).
OG of 1.042.

Today I'm attempting an Affligem Tripel clone from the excellent Clonebrews book.
Easily the biggest grainbill I've attempted in the BZ.

7kg Belgian Pilsner.
250g Aromatic.
1 kg Candi Sugar.
20g Styrian Goldings at 60.
20g Challenger at 60.
15g Styrian at 15.
7g Sweet Orange Peel at 15.
7g Styrial at 3 mins.
Safale T58 yeast.

Hoping for 22 litres in the FV with a OG of 1.090 and about 26 IBUs.

90 minute mash on the go now at 65C.

Got a supply of all grain kits from BrewUK for a change. Brewed Deviant yeasterday, a dynamically hopped pale ale. Oddly they change the hop varieties every now and again. This version uses Magnum (bittering), Simcoe, Mosaic & Ekuanot for flavour and aroma inc dry hopping. All the hops were leaf too, a first for me.
Missed the OG by 2 points (low) but I think that may have been my mash PH which I measured for the first time with more "accurate" strips and it was 6.2, possibly more as that is the highest they go.
Water chemistry is my next step!

Got a supply of all grain kits from BrewUK for a change. Brewed Deviant yeasterday, a dynamically hopped pale ale. Oddly they change the hop varieties every now and again. This version uses Magnum (bittering), Simcoe, Mosaic & Ekuanot for flavour and aroma inc dry hopping. All the hops were leaf too, a first for me.
Missed the OG by 2 points (low) but I think that may have been my mash PH which I measured for the first time with more "accurate" strips and it was 6.2, possibly more as that is the highest they go.
You've all been busy. Made a homemade AG recipe 'Plaisance Session Pale Ale' last week and it's just about finished in the FV. Time to rack off the trub, prime and bottle shortly.

Yes, pH that high would certainly impact your mash efficiency. I started with strips but could never convince myself I was reading them accurately so I got a cheap digital meter. It works well but does need a bit more looking after than, say, a thermometer.

Just as an aside, remember that the pH of any solution falls with increasing temperature. At mash temps a sample will measure about 0.3-0.4 lower than at room temp (the ‘optimum mash pH’ figures are for a cooled sample athumb.. )

Latest posts

Back