Aldi - Home Brew Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen1546

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello

Anybody tried these kits from Aldi s? . On offer for 15 quid down from 20.

Cheers

Stevie

20190707_121711-jpg.19693

Attachments

• 20190707_121711.jpg
    20190707_121711.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,701
Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect this will be like a kit I got about 25 years ago - you get a big bag with a tap on it and the LME already inside. Just add hot water and leave for a couple of weeks. You get beer, but it's dreadful.

Having just watched the video i am interested in trying this as it seems a very easy way to make what he calls good quality beer.
(as many members know i don't have room to make wine and beer)

Do you tighten the cap at the top fully when you pour as not doing so will allow air into the bag ?

Is no carbonation a problem or will there be enough CO2 to make a decent pint?

Having just watched the video i am interested in trying this as it seems a very easy way to make what he calls good quality beer.

Do you tighten the cap at the top fully when you pour as not doing so will allow air into the bag ?

Might purchase one today. Thought i would do a bit of research first.

Do we see:
  • An outfit trying to jump on a bandwagon?
  • An attempt to reintroduce something that has already been abandoned?
  • A backward step?
Methinks it could be all three of the above, but one of my New Year Resolutions was "No experimenting!" so I'll wait for braver people to provide the verdict.

I see what you mean! With nomal beer after fermentation you'll have around 0.85 volumes of co2 in it, which when I've pulled off a 'scoooper'** is sometimes a nice level or carbonation - but as you draw from the bag it'll expand the bag and lose carbonation in the beer - just like when you drink 1 litre out of 2 litres of pop. This bag needs some kind of mangle add-on that keeps the bag tight as you dish up. Chippy, I'll go halvesies if I get the brew mangle to Dragons' Den. Sounds mental but it's still better than the Torp system (shudder).

** Scoopers are beers that's so nice post fermenter you scoop out a few with a pint pot and have at it. Heyyyy, it's less bottling!

Will that's the kit bought, settled for an IPA at 4.2%

The instructions state not to over tighten cap, it's actually a nice fit ie you know when it's tight enough.

The kit is supposedly ready to drink after 30 days.

It comes with 2 pints of malt extract in the bag.

Nothing ventured etc..

Do we see:
  • An outfit trying to jump on a bandwagon?
  • An attempt to reintroduce something that has already been abandoned?
  • A backward step?
Methinks it could be all three of the above, but one of my New Year Resolutions was "No experimenting!" so I'll wait for braver people to provide the verdict.

Latest posts

Back