Aldi launch new 75% bargain hour for UK shoppers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Lets hope all supermarkets follow their lead -

Aldi customers will be able to save 75% on products such as bread, meat and fruit, the supermarket chain has announced.

All of Aldi’s 912 UK stores will soon mark down perishable products such as bread, meat and fruit and vegetables before stores close on their last day of life.

The supermarket chain hope the move will help stores cut waste as part of their target of halving food waste by 2030.
Aldi currently reduces the price of some products on their best-before or use-by dates, but is now offering bigger discounts, which are marked with a red sticker.

Julie Ashfield, Managing Director of Buying at Aldi, said: “Aldi is already known for its low prices, but these discounts will help some shoppers to cut their grocery bills even further – all while helping us reduce food waste.

“Customers should look out for the red stickers when shopping at Aldi, but shoppers need to be quick as I’m sure the products will prove
popular.”

The time that items are reduced will vary by store, and all products will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.

Child poverty

Meanwhile, Aldi has pledged to donate 10 million meals to families in need.

Aldi teamed up with Manchester United and England star Marcus Rashford to raise awareness of the issue of child poverty in the UK.

New research from Aldi and Neighbourly reveals that food provision demand for families has increased by 71 per cent in the past six months.

To help tackle the problem, Aldi have pledged to donate 10 million meals to disadvantaged families in 2021.

And in order to raise further awareness of the issue and encourage people to help tackle it, the UK’s fifth-largest supermarket has released a heart-wrenching animation that “personifies hunger through a child’s eyes”.

The poignant film sees a young child’s relationship with ‘hunger’ in a poem by Giles Andreae.

Rashford said: “Reading the script for the Aldi animation I felt like I was talking about myself 10 years ago.

“This story is a reality for millions of children so, of course, I was happy to lend my voice. I'm proud to call Aldi a Founding Member of the Child Food Poverty Taskforce.

“Aldi has continued to take active steps to combat the issue of child food poverty and I would encourage everyone to get involved in their pledge to donate 10 million meals.

"2021 is a time to level the playing field once-and-for-all."

on a selfish personal note, it means that when I normally go there to avoid large numbers of people in the crisis, its going to be crowded now.

I am sure you can find another quiet time, I am also sure deep down you don't begrunge the people who will benefit from these very low prices the opertunity of benefiting from them.

Pretty certain every other supermarket has being doing this for years. Don‘t get me wrong its good that Aldi are doing this but it’s not new.

I am sure you can find another quiet time, I am also sure deep down you don't begrunge the people who will benefit from these very low prices the opertunity of benefiting from them.
I remember joing the swarm of locus so to speak back in sixth form (I worked in Argos at the time which was just across from Sainsburys and finished work just as they started discounting) the joys of getting steak, mangos, pork chops at 75% or more (sometimes as much as 90%) off. As long as you have a freezer it was a good way of getting good quality produce very cheaply. My dad and sister would often walk down to meet me just as I was finishing so we could go through the discount bay.

Back before 24 hour opening I’m sure all the supermarkets did it.

I remember when I was younger, shopping in Tescos with my parents. Dad put 6 or so loaves of bread in the trolley, only to swing by the bread area at 7.30 or so when a store member of staff was reducing what was left of the bread and asked them to put discounted stickers on what he had in the trolly. Genius!

I applaud Aldi, but it's right to observe that they were one of the last supermarkets to discount food approaching its sell by date. Even M&S, which was traditionally stubborn in reducing anything, has been discounting its food for years now and far longer than Aldi. My local M&S reduces food by 90% as a last ditch effort to sell rather than to chuck. The Aldi red stickers have been used for the past couple of years, initially at 50%, but I've noticed they now also use 30% stickers. So a good move, but not a new one.

My introverted snob of a sister has for years proudly pulled Waitrose produce from her fridge without the 'end of shelf life' reduction sticker being visible. (removed).
Wonderful generous Lady I must add. (Hope she never reads this, if she does I am dust)

Back