ALDI tonight.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We turned into ALDI tonight and found a car double parked in the single bay blocking one side of the road there were lots of people stood looking at it trying to work out why it was there -

1.jpg

You couldn't get a fag paper between the car and the KIA behind -

3.jpg

Store staff turned up -

5.jpg

and put it back in the bay opposite where it had come from.

Hand brake bricks were placed under the wheels to keep it there :laugh8:

2.jpg

Happened to me once in a car park whilst I was picking kids up from school. Came back and my car was lying in the middle of the road through the car park... Left the handbrake off.

Certain vauxhall models had a habit of disappearing off drives if I remember right if you didn't pull the hand brake on hard as the rear shoes cooled it allowed the car to move, I leave my car in gear it's a good habit to get into.

It didn't appear there was any it's a very general slope I guess the handbrake was still dragging a little and it only just touched the KIA before stopping.

My Dads car went through next doors fence, that was a Triumph as I recall, a bit of contraction and away she went.

Last edited:
Handbrake and in gear always. There are many good reasons to be in this habit, not only does it stop your car rolling away if the handbrake fails or you forgot to put it on it also makes the car harder to steal. Car thieves can often get a handbrake off from underneath the car by cutting the cable (maybe less so now with cars with electronic handbrakes), simple matter then of towing it away if not in gear.

Certain vauxhall models had a habit of disappearing off drives if I remember right if you didn't pull the hand brake on hard as the rear shoes cooled it allowed the car to move, I leave my car in gear it's a good habit to get into.
Growing up my dad had an orange Vauxhall chevette and we lived on quite a steep hill. He parked and ran into the house to get my aunt to leave her home and when he came out the car was gone and a crowd was gathered around the chemist at the bottom of the hill where dads car was sitting on top of the railing at the front of the building 😳 very lucky no one was killed.
Another time on the same hill we woke to find a lot of cars damaged roofs dented back bumpers dented and bonnets dented. No one could work it out until we got a letter from the MOD telling us a spare wheel had come off the front of an army land rover coming down the hill and bounced all over the parked cars.

last winter wife came home and parked on our icy drive with a fresh covering of snow. ( Hand brake ON) . In the night it decided to try and make its escape. Had to laugh, but it cost her a new wing mirror. 🙄
CBB3341F-BFC0-4B18-98B5-3865AF7C42DB.jpeg

But the wheels didn’t turn, they slid. How does being in gear help ?. Thereafter we used a house brick.

I don't think Jim was answering you directly or he would have quoted you he was agreeing that putting the car in gear is a good habit to get into.

I recall seeing in the U.S it was recommended practice (in San Francisco posibly?) when parking at street-side for vehicles to park in a herringbone pattern at a 45 degree angle pointing in to the kerb to avoid them racing off down step hills.
I was taught to park on a hill with the front wheels pointing to the kerb, in addition to the handbrake being on and the car being in gear.

Yeah my father in law’s Insignia was recalled back in about 2012 or 2013 because of an issue with the park brake.

Latest posts

Back