Ales to try around Cambridge?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pfeffer

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Due to Brexit I'll be stuck in the Cambridge area for the the coming 4 months (Jan-Apr) as my company will need to mitigate all logistical risks where possible. So this is not about a Brexit discussion, the only fact is that I'll be stuck in/around Cambridge and will probably be needing good brew. Aside from that, I will have plenty of time to test them all.

So, my question to you lads is.. What should I go for and what places should I avoid?
It doesn't necessarily need to be ales, I'm open for other brews as well (no IPAs though, that's not my cup of tea). What brew? What pubs are to be recommended?

My profile: I'm not used to British ales (at all). I tried one once or twice, that's it. I do however fancy Belgian strong ales, belgian beers in general, ambers, stouts, pilseners, weizen etc. IPAs and (most) dark beers are not my go to beers. Background wise I'm also really interested in military technology/history.. So if there are any nice points of interest in the area I'd also be more than happy to know.

I look forward to hearing from you guys,
Ted

Give the Cambridge Blue a look, it's in Gwydir Street. Fairly large selection, including Belgian beers.

The Elm Tree... Have been a few times, they have a large selections of Belgian beers, plus local micro-brewery cask ales for all tastes.

+1 for the Cambridge Blue, great little pub. The Elm tree also has some great Belgians. For more modern stuff, Thirsty has an incredible selection, and is also an off licence. It's also where we have the monthly brew club meetings, and you're welcome to come along. The Blue Moon isn't the best decorated place, but worth going for the beers. The Maypole and the Pint Shop also do good selections. Calverly Brewery and the Cambridge Brew House both make their own and are decent. For buying to take away, Baccenalia on Mill Road is good.

The free press, tucked away behind the parkers piece police station. Used to have the most wonderful Greene king and Guinness. Not been for a long time but I hear they still have mild on all year round

Apologies for the late reply, I completely forgot about the thread. I'll be flying in on Sunday evening, so I'll give the above mentioned locations a try next weekend.

I already know the IWM and I'm actually planning to go there too. Hopefully the weather cooperates a bit. Thank you all for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

And @IainM I might take you up on that offer. You are the lad working at the Chesterford research park right?

And @IainM I might take you up on that offer. You are the lad working at the Chesterford research park right?
Close enough, the Wellcome Genome Campus, but not for long. We've got a meet up on the 6th Jan which I won't imagine will be particularly busy, and another the 3rd Feb with the theme "strong beers", 4pm Thirsy, Chesterton Road. We're a friendly bunch and you don't have to bring any homebrew with you.

I'm afraid I won't make that one as I don't arrive in the UK around 6pm and for the 2nd round I'll be in NL (24jan-14feb). Thanks for the offer though.

I'll be staying in Great Abington so I'll see if they have any good casks around. Are there any local(ish) ales that I should definitely try?

I also learned about the 22nd Cambridge Winter Ale Festival so I'll also check that one out.

I'm afraid I won't make that one as I don't arrive in the UK around 6pm and for the 2nd round I'll be in NL (24jan-14feb). Thanks for the offer though.

I'll be staying in Great Abington so I'll see if they have any good casks around. Are there any local(ish) ales that I should definitely try?

I also learned about the 22nd Cambridge Winter Ale Festival so I'll also check that one out.

No worries. Cambridge property is too expensive for decent breweries to succeed here, although Calvery does some decent stuff and the Cambridge Brewhouse has some good beers amidst some average ones. A bit further out though and there is some good stuff. Nene Valley have some impressive stuff. Unfortunately, most pubs outside the "crafty" ones in the city are owned by big breweries, so the choice on offer is usually disappointing.

Hmm tried some ales so far, unfortunately it's not really my taste. Even the (apparently) good ones at the red lion were not my cup of tea.. I found some good Belgian beers in Cambridge too, so I'll just stick to those.

By the way, is it just me or do ales have quite a low alcohol content?

I work at Granta Park and used to live in Linton so you're on my stomping ground. :-)

The Three Tuns in Great Abington usually has quite a good selection on. Otherwise it's in to Cambs - Pint Shop always has a huge selection.

If you don't mind getting in the car then there are quite a few microbreweries in Bury St Edmunds...

I'm currently actually working at Granta Park... ánd staying in the Three Tuns. So far I liked the beers at the red lion in Hinxton better though.

I also ditched my rental car as I didn't realise I could walk to Granta Park and it cost me quite some budget to drive a rental for months. And that's aside from the whole driving on the left side thing (It's really awkward to get used to). I don't mind getting on the bus though.

The Red Lion in Hinxton is the only pub walking distance from my work. I wouldn't class their beer as good. Not awful, but not good either. Mr Fro is right. Head to the city.

I'm currently actually working at Granta Park... ánd staying in the Three Tuns. So far I liked the beers at the red lion in Hinxton better though.

I also ditched my rental car as I didn't realise I could walk to Granta Park and it cost me quite some budget to drive a rental for months. And that's aside from the whole driving on the left side thing (It's really awkward to get used to). I don't mind getting on the bus though.
The world is getting smaller all the time!

I guess the Three Tuns is more largery - the rooms are quite nice mind. The accommodation on Granta Park is waaaaay cheaper though.

I guessed you've already discovered that the 13 bus (or any of the derivatives) takes you in and out of Cambs. ;-)

Yes, I discovered bus 13 - thanks for the heads up.

I'll look around Cambridge for some more beers. If that doesn't work I'll just go to the gin lab instead (another interest) or I'll just end up going to Klub Polonia for the food.

If you've got some time at the weekend, you could always jump on the train and pop down to Hitchin, as there's a rather nice beer shop there. £13 return or so. http://www.beershophq.co.uk/ourshops/hitchin - you can read the bottle and tap list on there and see if you think it'll be worth your while too :)

Hi,
Been quietly lurking here and doing 20ltr Biab for nearly a year. learning and growing in my brewing from the forums.
Just reading this thread and wondered if there is interest in a Cambridge meet up whilst Ted is in Cambs?
Gordon

Hi,
Been quietly lurking here and doing 20ltr Biab for nearly a year. learning and growing in my brewing from the forums.
Just reading this thread and wondered if there is interest in a Cambridge meet up whilst Ted is in Cambs?
Gordon

Sure, I'm game.

Latest posts

Back