Ali Express again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughjamton

Reaction score
I want to buy several items from A. L. Including a grain basket, has anybody bought lately since the new import rules have been in place, and has anyone been stung with extra costs?

I’m expecting a Kegland order to arrive today/tomorrow (I received the “item has arrived in your country” notification yesterday) but it’s just a new corny poppet and a ball lock tap spout so assume it’ll be small enough to sneak through.

Same here. I've had about 3-4 orders from Kegland this year, all marked at $1 value.

I'm pretty sure vat is not just charged at the checkout since Brexit. You can still be stung on import duty for larger purchases.

If anything arrives labelled as a gift when you've paid for it, or has the duty listed incorrectly, don't you need to declare it to HMRC and pay the duty?

I have had quite a few items this year. VAT has been charged at checkout and nothing further to pay on delivery. All have been sub £30 items.

I’ve received a few orders, probably 5-6 without checking in the cost range of £15 to £60 I guess, from keg land and others since January.
VAT added at checkout and everything has flown through, no extra charges and faster than expected delivery.
I assume that as VAT has already been applied the packages are under less scrutiny now, bigger stuff may be different I suspect.

See attached. If you get wrongly charged you can claim it back but not the handling fee for the delivery co which is why mistakes happen so they get their fee. I was charged duty and handling by Royal Mail for a 50 quid item that wasn't a gift that I ordered from the Netherlands . The packaging still said China on it presumably causing the confusion because a new a label should have replaced that one but the seller didn't repackage obviously .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210404-083855_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210404-083855_Samsung Internet.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 68
Interested in people buying Kegland bits from Aliexpress. Are you not getting absolutely mullered on shipping costs?

Kegland show their postage costs on the page.
If you add item cost to the postage cost and then add 20% VAT that should be your doorstep costs.
The overall cost had risen (20% VAT) but items are arriving quicker I think. I assume that is down to no checks needed at Heathrow.

I currently have a gas regulator gauge awaiting delivery so obviously I'm still buying from Aliexpress.
However I also needed a 5v 30A PSU, £1 more expensive from a UK seller on eBay - so you need to run due diligence before you hit the button. 🔍

Kegland show their postage costs on the page.
If you add item cost to the postage cost and then add 20% VAT that should be your doorstep costs.
The overall cost had risen (20% VAT) but items are arriving quicker I think. I assume that is down to no checks needed at Heathrow.

I currently have a gas regulator gauge awaiting delivery so obviously I'm still buying from Aliexpress.
However I also needed a 5v 30A PSU, £1 more expensive from a UK seller on eBay - so you need to run due diligence before you hit the button. 🔍

I suppose it depends on what you're buying. Shipping on kegs etc looks prohibitive..

I've had loads delivered since I posted this, still waiting for a few more bits.
Most have arrived pretty quickly with no problems.
The only exception is the first thing I ordered, a grain basket, it took over a month to get here and it was damaged.
I used the Ali Express disputes system which was really easy.
They ask you what you want by way of compensation, I asked for a replacement or my money back.
They then give the supplier 3 days to respond and make a counter offer.
If they don't AE step in and make a decision, in my case they found in my favour and gave me a full refund.
I'm quite impressed with the way it was handled.

I bought a larger item and some smaller stuff. They charged me a lot more in postage for the small items then they cost then just shoved them in the box for the larger item presumably paying no delivery cost for those items. You can ask about combining post most if the stores do that but I don't know how it works and what you will save

One tip, some sellers offer free shipping, but often if you want more than 1item, postage is added, so add them to your basket 1 at a time, they still arrive at the same time in 1 package but no shipping costs.

How accurate is the tracking info on AliExpress ?I ordered a few bits and pieces from kegland last week and they are estimating delivery this Saturday (5th June). Wasn't expecting it this early but would be pleasantly surprised if it arrives and also no additional taxes to pay 🤞

Latest posts

Back