All Grain All-In-One-Brew-System

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh, that looks great. Thanks!

I'm definitely a fan of the GF counterflow chiller too. My cold Highland water means I can chill a 27L batch in about 10 minutes.
I can do the same with a single flow wort chiller. Mains water is now 8C but was 5C when I last used it. I wonder if my chiller had a greater flow rate? Mine is 8m.

I can do the same with a single flow wort chiller. Mains water is now 8C but was 5C when I last used it. I wonder if my chiller had a greater flow rate? Mine is 16m.

Maybe?

I used to have a single flow wort chiller before I used the GF and it used to take me up to an hour sometimes to chill and then still needed to transfer to the fermenter. The GF one I hook up, and the wort is cool right away and it takes as long as the pump can go to fill up the fermenter. I don't need to wait ages and ages.

I bought the GF before there were all these other copycat systems. There are for sure things with the GF I don't like: The grain basket seals (I've taken to not using them and keeping my fingers crossed), and no handles and I have had too many issues with clogged pumps with hops, so I have to use hop baskets, but I still quite like brewing with it. :onechug:

Oooh, that looks great. Thanks!

I'm definitely a fan of the GF counterflow chiller too. My cold Highland water means I can chill a 27L batch in about 10 minutes.

a friend of mine has got two GF counterflow chillers connected in series. The thing works like a charm..
I also like how The Malt Miller has got theirs set up..

wort-chiller.jpg

One thing that I have found over the last few years reading this forum is that every member thinks their all-in-one system is the best buy. All have their strengths and all have their weeknesses and it is up to the prospective purchaser to decide which best fit their requirements.

If you exclude the high end offerings like Braumeister, Blichmann and the fully automated systems that mash, boil, hop, ferment, dispense and wipe your ****, there are a lot of competing systems, which appear on the face of it to be the same unit rebadged, but with different ancilliary arrangements (pump etc) and have the same controller, usually mounted near the base of the unit. The Grainfather stands on its own, pricewise and in specification, maybe that's part of its appeal.

It would be very interesting to find out how many of each of these units have sold, there have been one or two polls on here, which may give an idea.

Grainfather is very expensive for what you get. Today it's one of many with a removable display, See post 23.

Grainfather is very expensive for what you get. Today it's one of many with a removable display, See post 23.
That does look very good but it is not a counterflow chiller, which is what I wanted, but does have a sparge heater so I think you need to decide what you want.

Yes I saw that and I have seen one other, but looking at the OP, nine out of ten had the controller near the base.

I think another factor or two what could make the Grainfather a bit more pricey is the wifi - bluetooth connect technology that comes with it.. I also just learnt that it has a bit more power than most of the other items..

Here' is a good review between the GF, Robobrew and a cheaper system.. , which all three will get the job done it just depend on your budget and level of comfort when brewing I guess...

I have the brewzilla, used it around 10 times and found it to be well built and does what it's meant to do. Although it would be nice to have the controller higher I have built a wooden slatted stand so it rasies it a couple of feet off the floor which also helps with heat ventilation.

I have the brewzilla, used it around 10 times and found it to be well built and does what it's meant to do. Although it would be nice to have the controller higher I have built a wooden slatted stand so it rasies it a couple of feet off the floor which also helps with heat ventilation.

As an old fart I would probably struggle to lift the malt pipe at that height especially as I brew some high gravity beers where I have used around 6kg of grain

As an old fart I would probably struggle to lift the malt pipe at that height especially as I brew some high gravity beers where I have used around 6kg of grain

I’m not quite an old fart yet but did rig up a small pulley system (saw it on YouTube) which makes lifting out the malt pipe a breeze. Have a look on YouTube (I’m sure you can see it on one of my vids - search brewbru).

I’ve got the robobrew/brewzilla and love it but like someone else mentioned I think most people with an all in one will love theirs. Certainly have no desire to change anyway!

Latest posts

Back