All grain boil - to tip or not to tip that is the question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyjohnson

Reaction score
So I have a Brupaks electric boiler and I am doing all grain brews.
At the end of the boil when I tranfer the wort from the boiler to the fermentation vessel I generally tip the boiler to get all of the wort - waste not want not.
Usually I use a fine grain bag to strain the wort and there is a bazooka filter on the inside of the filter so I am keeping the big stuff out of the FV.
Is this a good idea or not, should I sacrifice those last couple of litres to avoid transfering a bunch of crud ??

Well, I brew a few different styles - from dry, clean but hoppy, to malty or indeed dark. My method of brewing is unusual, in that I do a sort of "no chill" using a Buffalo boiler,which I encase in a bin liner after the boil to stop any dust particles or flies getting in there. Once it's cool (maybe 24-30 hours later), then I drain the boiler through the tap (lots of aeration since its now cool) and then tip the entire remainder into the primary FV - trub included. After about 3-4 days I then transfer to a secondary fermenter.
This seems to produce truly excellent beers (or I would change my method!)
What I can't say, though, is whether the beer would be even better if I excluded the trub.
Or, indeed, since my primary fermentation including the trub is of short duration, would I have a flavour degradation if I skipped the secondary and let the beer sit on the trub and dying yeast for a longer period?
I've no definite idea - unless I did back-to-back experiments, and I certainly can't be arsed to do that!
However since my beers, at their best, can taste as good as anything I've ever drunk, I seriously doubt that excluding the trub is going to make a significant difference.

I leave about a litre back in the Boiler with whatever debris is left in the centre after cooling and whirlpooling.

As I only have an 8mm take-off from the Boiler it is emptied quite slowly and in a very few cases (when there has been little or no debris in the bottom of the Boiler) I have emptied the lot into the FV.

I've never noticed any difference in fermentation, taste or subsequent clarity between leaving the debris in the Boiler and tipping the lot into the FV, so leaving debris behind is really just a habit I've gotten into.

I used to worry about this, and often left a lot of trub in the boiler.

Through time (accidents) I learned that it doesn't make a difference if you transfer the trub or not.

Also, none of the brewing books I have make a big deal of this, some don't even mention it.

I now transfer the lot.

Tip the lot in. I brew lagers and extra-pale beers and I can tell you there is zero affect on the delicate flavours present in those styles. The time to be careful is when you're transferring off the trub cake in the FV.

I like to get every drop of wort from my boiler. Only problems I've had is with brews that have very low hop additions as the filter clogs up really quickly with hot break gunk. Brown ale and honey ale are a real pain. Last time I brewed honey ale I tried skimming the hot break crud off the top just before the boil kicked off. This made a huge difference. The brew is still in the FV so I don't know yet if it's had any effect on the taste.
By the way, the crud I skimmed off tasted fantastic - made a loaf of bread out of it!

Latest posts

Back