All grain - dummy's guide

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all

I've been all grain brewing for a couple of years now, and one of the things I struggled with the most from the beginning was the amount of new terminology I had to learn. Sparging. Mashing. Mash tun. Strike water. HLT. And so on.

A friend of mine (who's relatively new to brewing all grain) is coming over next week for a brew day and we are planning on making a wee video for my youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-HmSAduHiDv-86MVxdqEA) on an introductory/dummies guide to all grain.

I thought it might be useful to get others opinions on things you struggled with when starting out that maybe I could try to include on our vid? I know there's probably other videos out there, but I love making wee vids and sharing them with the world (although appreciate probably only 0.0000000000000000001% of the world will actually watch them :)

Anyway - thoughts/comments welcome!

Happy brewing acheers.

Last edited:
I struggled with temperatures a lot, I'm only on my tenth AG brew at the moment and even then, I've only got the temp spot on at every step for the last three of those.

That and sparging...should I? Shouldn't I? Hot? Cold? Baffling!

Expansion rate when wort is boiling makes you think you have more wort than you actually have in the vessel cos it shrinks when cooled

Timings of hop additions - it's backwards to how most people see it initially, eg 60 mins means boil 'em for 60 mins not add them after 60 mins of boiling.

All the stuff associated with getting the right mount of wort into your fermenter - boil off, loss to grain etc

How to read a hydrometer / refractometer.

Basics of minimum equipment needed to brew vs all the stuff on the market.

I'm in the middle of putting my own list of terms together for my oldest who wants to tackle AG at some stage. When I've finished it, I'll post it here for a good old Forum edit. It won't be a video though and I've been patiently procrastinating over finishing it for some while now :laugh8:

Refractometer wort correction factor - now that's a headache
Temperature dependent SG measurements
Hop Spider
Saccarification rest

Still learning....

Just checked your YouTube channel out and I'm really impressed with the quality, quite natural in front of the camera too.
I'm hoping to start all grain brewing soon and look forward to your forthcoming video.
Please don't bog us down with too much unnecessary terminology though😃

Hey all

I've been all grain brewing for a couple of years now, and one of the things I struggled with the most from the beginning was the amount of new terminology I had to learn. Sparging. Mashing. Mash tun. Strike water. HLT. And so on.

A friend of mine (who's relatively new to brewing all grain) is coming over next week for a brew day and we are planning on making a wee video for my youtube channel (BrewBru - Brewing your own home brew beer) on an introductory/dummies guide to all grain.

I thought it might be useful to get others opinions on things you struggled with when starting out that maybe I could try to include on our vid? I know there's probably other videos out there, but I love making wee vids and sharing them with the world (although appreciate probably only 0.0000000000000000001% of the world will actually watch them :)

Anyway - thoughts/comments welcome!

Happy brewing acheers.
So not really an all grain specific thing to learn but the affect of yeast attenuation took a while before I paid much attention to it. In my early days I used to think every beer should get down to 1.010 regardless of what the original gravity was.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have to admit there are some things here I’ve not even heard of lol!! Maybe I need to do a part 2 when I figure out the answers 😂

And thanks for the comment on the videos @Doublediamond - really appreciate it! I really enjoy making them. The difficult bit is getting people to find and view them with so much other content out there.

So not really an all grain specific thing to learn but the affect of yeast attenuation took a while before I paid much attention to it. In my early days I used to think every beer should get down to 1.010 regardless of what the original gravity was.
We’ve not had an “I fermented with Windsor and my brew won’t go below 1.016, what can I do?” thread for a while.

Back